• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Colleges or Universities in USA to apply for Masters in Financial Engineering or related discipline

Hi,

I have done my B.Tech in Electrical Engineering with 81% and MBA in Finance with 65.12%. Presently, I am working with one of the Multi-national bank in India. Further, I have 1.5 years of Work-ex in Financial Service Sector till now. Expecting a score of 7 in IELTS and 315 in GRE.

Kindly suggest me which colleges or universities should I apply in USA for Masters in Financial Engineering or related Discipline....

Honestly 315 GRE seems a bit to low for most programs, and the break down of you scores matters as well. You having a 170 quant but a 145 verbal differs greatly from having a 165 quant and 150 verbal.

Honestly 315 GRE seems a bit to low for most programs, and the break down of you scores matters as well. You having a 170 quant but a 145 verbal differs greatly from having a 165 quant and 150 verbal.
How much should be the score to get a good college?

If you look at the Quantnet rankings you can see the average scores for the top 25 schools. Only few have an average quant score under 166. I mean I know people with 166 Quant scores who got into top schools, so it not all deciding. But, having a quant score of less then 165 will definitely hurt your chances of getting into a top school. But remember other things as projects, research, work experience, recommendations, and course work will play a large effect as well. Focus on using your experience to write why you want to do what you want and how going into xyz program will help you achieve these goals.

If you look at the Quantnet rankings you can see the average scores for the top 25 schools. Only few have an average quant score under 166. I mean I know people with 166 Quant scores who got into top schools, so it not all deciding. But, having a quant score of less then 165 will definitely hurt your chances of getting into a top school. But remember other things as projects, research, work experience, recommendations, and course work will play a large effect as well. Focus on using your experience to write why you want to do what you want and how going into xyz program will help you achieve these goals.
How about the verbal score?

Can you tell me any other good colleges in other parts? I mean other than USA.... I would be highly thankful....

I did my undergraduate degree at Stony Brook and I believe you can get into there with a 315 GRE. I did a degree in applied math there and I can definitely say that you will learn a lot there. It’s definitely a school I would look into if I were you. I’m not sure about the MS placement but I know many of the PHD in quant finance get very good jobs.

I did my undergraduate degree at Stony Brook and I believe you can get into there with a 315 GRE. I did a degree in applied math there and I can definitely say that you will learn a lot there. It’s definitely a school I would look into if I were you. I’m not sure about the MS placement but I know many of the PHD in quant finance get very good jobs.
Any other college that you would suggest me to apply?

I mean you have work experience and I’m not sure what else you may have done. Do you have coding experience, research experience, investment experience ... etc. But I feel if you can get your GRE to 320- with at least a 165 quant you will be competitive for many schools

Back