• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MAFN vs Chicago (70% tuition waiver)

Columbia MAFN vs Chicago (70% tuition waiver)

• Columbia MAFN

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Chicago MSFM (70%tuition waiver)

Votes: 25 67.6%

• Total voters
could people elaborate on why they chose columbia mafn if you have time?

Can you elaborate on your career goals?
Chicago is a hub for quant trading and research. UChicago is the #1 college in all of Chicago which would give you an edge over all other programs in Chicago.
MAFN on the other hand is competing with the IEOR department and other programs in NYC. But they have a strong curriculum that could prepare you for a PhD and the industry. The only downside is the placement committee or the lack thereof. So if you're looking for a good placement regardless of location , UChicago is the best choice , otherwise go for MAFN and work your ass off for a very good placement. Graduates from both programs end up at prestigious firms at the end of the day

Can you elaborate on your career goals?
Chicago is a hub for quant trading and research. UChicago is the #1 college in all of Chicago which would give you an edge over all other programs in Chicago.
MAFN on the other hand is competing with the IEOR department and other programs in NYC. But they have a strong curriculum that could prepare you for a PhD and the industry. The only downside is the placement committee or the lack thereof. So if you're looking for a good placement regardless of location , UChicago is the best choice , otherwise go for MAFN and work your ass off for a very good placement. Graduates from both programs end up at prestigious firms at the end of the day
Chicago is good, no doubt, but this just doesn't ring true to me in terms of how companies recruit. First of all, Columbia is a better name than Chicago. Both are good, but in terms of general prestige, which matters. Second of all, if the jobs in Chicago are so good, then UChicago graduates will also be competing with Columbia graduates and everyone else. New York is also a hub for quant trading and research. Having people in the program who can refer you or who have connections is useful, but only to a point. The name of the school is important too.

Tha
Chicago is good, no doubt, but this just doesn't ring true to me in terms of how companies recruit. First of all, Columbia is a better name than Chicago. Both are good, but in terms of general prestige, which matters. Second of all, if the jobs in Chicago are so good, then UChicago graduates will also be competing with Columbia graduates and everyone else. New York is also a hub for quant trading and research. Having people in the program who can refer you or who have connections is useful, but only to a point. The name of the school is important too.
that is indeed similar to what I was thinking, I also looked at the curriculum of UChicago, it didn't seem to go as deep as the Columbia ones or other well known programs, and last but not least when I check on Linkedin the people who did the UChicago program a few seem to get trading firms but a lot risk management or back office jobs at unknown firm. But on the positive side UChicago seemed to have a really dedicated career office while columbia's one seem non existent

Tha

that is indeed similar to what I was thinking, I also looked at the curriculum of UChicago, it didn't seem to go as deep as the Columbia ones or other well known programs, and last but not least when I check on Linkedin the people who did the UChicago program a few seem to get trading firms but a lot risk management or back office jobs at unknown firm. But on the positive side UChicago seemed to have a really dedicated career office while columbia's one seem non existent
all reasonable--maybe this is personal experience and doesn't generalize but for me, it has been about my own efforts to secure a job and less about a career office

Back