• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Columbia University - Masters in Financial Engineering

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE admissions results

• Thread starter Thread starter Vixus
  • Start date Start date
The irony is that few months back I did think my profile is really good, that I might not need an interview lol :P And I do not have any offers (Although I have just applied btw, 2nd/last deadline)

I think my experience is the issue. 4+ yrs in an investment bank as a quant, now working in a high frequency trading firm as a trader/strategist. Think they don't need ppl who are already in this field :(
if you just applied to CMU and that's the only one school you've applied, it would be quite normal for them to take a long time to process the application. It is not like you applied to a company and the HR would get back to you within several days. Just stay patient and best of luck

I don’t have the full picture on why you want to move to the US, but if you have a full time job at hand, you can just apply next year.

FYI, many people admitted before me told me that Columbia cares more about your GPA than your work experience. Schools like CMU, Princeton and UCB definitely prefer work experience over 3.9+
Will CV and Statement of purpose have a huge impact? And I wonder if a GPA over 3.85 is enough for this program?

if you just applied to CMU and that's the only one school you've applied, it would be quite normal for them to take a long time to process the application. It is not like you applied to a company and the HR would get back to you within several days. Just stay patient and best of luck
I have been rejected by Baruch. NYU MFin no response till now, most certainly rejected. Columbia - most certainly rejected. CMU & UCB last hope.

Could someone please guide me here?

I currently have admits from Gerogia tech, UCLA, Cornell and MIT and is waiting to hear from Columbia also.

I am more inclined towards MIT because of excellent faculty and broad curriculum and reputation. But I am apprehensive about the short duration of the program and no internship option.
Also I wanted to ask why it has fallen in quantnet 2017 ranks. And does it even makes sense to compare such a broad program with highly focused FE programs.

Some details about my background.

I am a fresher with no work experience and come from economics background. Though have quite a few internship experiences in investment banks.
I don't want my program to be heavy in computation like CMU ...and will prefer more finance along with decent computation to make me eligible for asset management and jobs in capital markets teams in both buy and sell side firms !

Suggestions or reviews about any of these programs are welcome?

Hey guys!

I wanted to know your views between UCLA MFE and Columbia MFE. I personally am looking to get into asset management later on in my career. California has plenty of buy-side opportunities, and as the course is offered by a b-school in the area surely has some advantages. The placement rates also look very strong.

The Columbia MFE program however has an "Asset Allocation" concentration which I am very interested in. From what I see the UCLA MFE program has less flexibility.

My question is, is it worth going to Columbia MFE over UCLA MFE when my goal is to work in a buy-side firm? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Hi All
I got admitted into Columbia. Received AD on Thursday.
It looks like there is a Wechat group, can someone join me to the group?

Hey guys!

I wanted to know your views between UCLA MFE and Columbia MFE. I personally am looking to get into asset management later on in my career. California has plenty of buy-side opportunities, and as the course is offered by a b-school in the area surely has some advantages. The placement rates also look very strong.

The Columbia MFE program however has an "Asset Allocation" concentration which I am very interested in. From what I see the UCLA MFE program has less flexibility.

My question is, is it worth going to Columbia MFE over UCLA MFE when my goal is to work in a buy-side firm? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!
Do you need visa? One of my friends did MFE from UCLA, he is presently working in Big4 as he couldn't even find a job in banking. Friends from Columbia - they are doing much better.

Hey guys!

Do you need visa sponsorship? One of my friends who did MFE from UCLA and needed visa sponsorship, he is presently working in Big4 as he couldn't even find a job in banking. Friends from Columbia - they are doing much better.

Thanks for the colour! Yes, I will be needing visa sponsorship. I am more inclined to Columbia as of now... NY will definitely offer more opportunities

i'd say yes as some people who received admission will decline, and only ~15 have been admitted on quantnet which is half of what occurred last year

Back