• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Columbia University - Masters in Financial Engineering

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE admissions results

• Thread starter Thread starter Vixus
  • Start date Start date
If one chooses to graduate in August (1 year) from Columbia's MFE, can one fit in a summer internship in his curriculum? What if one chooses to graduate earlier in June?
Hows tha placements like in summer internships? Heard, not many people get a chance to do internships, only a few do it.

well the program is meant to be 1 year program. but many people want an additional semester so they can be eligible for internship.
if you want just one year program, then you are unlikely to get an internship at good firms. that is tradeoff.

well the program is meant to be 1 year program. but many people want an additional semester so they can be eligible for internship.
if you want just one year program, then you are unlikely to get an internship at good firms. that is tradeoff.
Then graduate from Columbia MFE directly apply for FT afterwards if they dont choose intern... is there a placement stats...

I don't know if they have. But based on what I know, unless you have relevant experience, it is very difficult to get full time offers without internships. I would imagine it is even more difficult if u r international student

I don't know if they have. But based on what I know, unless you have relevant experience, it is very difficult to get full time offers without internships. I would imagine it is even more difficult if u r international student

I agree... I thought most MFE programs do include a mandatory internship as part of the program throughout their offerings... given the job market so competitive + visa restriction for internationals... I would imagine it would be tough for a graduate without any experience...

Well, MIT for that matter does not have internship in their year long curriculum, and they have been able to place international ppl with zero work experience.
Columbia does not publish their stats, so we dont know. But, i heard, ppl can fit internship in their curriculum if they choose to graduate in August. Have basically seen mixed responses on this issue. Very unfortunate, that a so-called ivy league b school does not clarify how many ppl were actually able to secure internships before the term ends

I agree... I thought most MFE programs do include a mandatory internship as part of the program throughout their offerings... given the job market so competitive + visa restriction for internationals... I would imagine it would be tough for a graduate without any experience...
Well I don't think that is possible for mfe programs to guarantee an internship for every student. Only Princeton mfin and Columbia business school MSFE have that requirement.

Well, MIT for that matter does not have internship in their year long curriculum, and they have been able to place international ppl with zero work experience.
Columbia does not publish their stats, so we dont know. But, i heard, ppl can fit internship in their curriculum if they choose to graduate in August. Have basically seen mixed responses on this issue. Very unfortunate, that a so-called ivy league b school does not clarify how many ppl were actually able to secure internships before the term ends
Well, thats another thing... MIT program is business school based(sloan)...
Business school offers a better career services compared to Engineering or Math department... as of its broad candidate based - more ppl from management with a variety of backgrounds... having said that, UCB MFE on the other hand has mandatory Interns with excellent stats but candidates went to that program with an average of 3 years FT experience already.

Hi Folks

Just joined Quantnet. I also received an interview invite, Completed my interview on 16th Feb but have not heard from them yet. My interviewer was an MS-OR student in her second semester. Keeping fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone.

Well, thats another thing... MIT program is business school based(sloan)...
Business school offers a better career services compared to Engineering or Math department... as of its broad candidate based - more ppl from management with a variety of backgrounds... having said that, UCB MFE on the other hand has mandatory Interns with excellent stats but candidates went to that program with an average of 3 years FT experience already.
Also note ucb has a different academic calendar than the typical program. They start in March or something. Typical one year program runs from sep to may. So summer is not included.

Back