• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MFE vs Cornell CFEM (M.Eng MFE)

Which one?

• Total voters
Fellows!

I want some advice in making a decision about which program to attend for Fall 2023. I have recently received admits from these two programs and need to make decision by the end of next week.

Brief background:
Final year Econ & Data Sci student from a US university, but an F-1 international
Have some finance related internships (but not quant related), had a research experience with a well known prof, and one TAship for a finance class
I am familiar with coding in Python and I have participated in several Kaggle competitions
I am currently wish to pursue a quant role at a buy-side firm or a role in an IB on the sell-side.

I am considering Cornell's FE because of its better employment statistics these years and its higher ranking this year, but also values Columbia's location
Also, I do plan on working in the US in the long run

Let me know your thoughts or pros/cons of the programs, especially if you are attending or have attended any of these programs.

Thanks in advance guys!

I am seeing a vast majority voting for Columbia MFE, but is there a reason why?
Pls pls pls share your insights on these programs, they will be crucial for me to make my final decision

Go for Cornell, based on last year comparision. Also Columbia doesnot offer any scholarship I guess.

Any particular reason? Currently in the same boat deciding between Cornell and Columbia
I am considering Columbia primarily because of its location. I heard a lot of ppl complain about Columbia's career service (CS) but from what I heard, unless you got into those top MFE programs like Baruch and Berkeley, I believe that Cornell's CS is not significantly stronger. However, what really hinders me from making the deposit right away is the the rigorousness of Columbia's curriculum and the high cost of living in the area. I'm planing to attend the Admitted Student Day to the 30th to help me finalize my decision though 😂

Back