• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Admission Prerequisite Help

Hi All,

I plan to apply to Columbia's Part-Time MSOR program for Fall 2014. The deadline for applying is therefore February 15, 2014.

By then, I will have credit for the following mathematics courses:

(1) Multivariate Calculus
(2) Linear Algebra
(3) Calculus-Based Probability Theory

These courses appear to be the 'bare-minimum' prerequisites as indicated on the MSOR admissions website. But a lot of the threads on QuantNet suggest that people with just the above background have a very small chance of getting in.

Questions

(1) Is it rather uncommon for students with just a bare minimum mathematical background such as myself to get admitted? Or is the high mathematical background something that's just expected of FE students?

(2) Is part-time admissions less competitive or is it virtually indistinguishable from full-time?

1) I think some programs look for 'anchors'. For example, suppose the concentration areas are mathematics, finance, and computer science (all three are part of a quant curriculum). As long as a candidate has background in at least one, plus the needed math, it should be OK. Of course, there will be candidates with all sorts of experience in several or more areas-for example PhDs, and masters holders-but I don't think this is a necessity.

2) This also depends on the program. My understanding is that there are far fewer part-time applicants to the programs compared to full-time because part-time applicants are almost all working professionals whereas hundreds / thousands of people from all over the world apply to the full-time programs.

mhy that's very reassuring. I'm a Computer Science major who will be working as an application developer at a BB, so hopefully I'll be perceived as an "anchor". Case closed :D

Nevertheless, people who have PhDs and masters degrees apply to these programs, so you'll be facing some tough competition.

Back