Could I get some language advice

Hello!

I'm in the process of completing my thesis in mathematics. I need to write an acknowledgement section. I don't have English as my mother tongue so I find it a bit hard to find suitable words for such a delicate section. It easily becomes a pile of adverbs and adjectives and they kind of loose their meaning.

There are so many things I want to thank my supervisor for that I can't make sentences out of it. Most importantly I want to thank him for his never-tiring reading of the manuscripts and for his insightful comments. But also for sharing his immense knowledge, for our conversation from which I have learned so much (not only about mathematics, but about world).

To thank my supervisor is the hardest part since I don't want it to sound too exaggerating, but just about right. Here follows the structure of my acknowledgement section, where the names are fictional.

First and foremost I want to thank my supervisor Paul Heinz for his guidance. Paul's never-tiring reading of the manuscripts and his insightful comments has been very helpful. It has been a privilege to take part of Paul's immense knowledge and I have learned a lot from our conversations, not only about mathematics.
I also want to thank my beloved Sara for constantly supporting me and listening to my dilemmas. And not to forget all my lovely friends at the Mathematics department, in particular Ben, Andrea, and Tom, for making these five years of studying even more joyful.

Thank you in advance for you help and comments!

EDIT: I made a spelling mistake in the thread title. I can't seem to be able to edit it.

First and foremost I want (would like to) to thank my supervisor Paul Heinz for his guidance. Paul's never-tiring reading of the manuscripts and his insightful comments has (have been) been very helpful. It has been a privilege to take part (partake) of Paul's immense knowledge and I have learned a lot from our conversations, not only about mathematics (and not only about mathematics, I hasten to emphasise).
I also want (would also like) to thank my beloved Sara for constantly supporting me and listening to my dilemmas. And not to forget all my lovely (delete) friends at the Mathematics department, in particular Ben, Andrea, and Tom, for making these five years of studying (study) even more joyful (a pleasure).

Also perhaps consider calling him Dr./Prof. Heinz rather than Paul. Thesis is a formal document..

Thank you for your input! That is something I considered. At first I wrote it like you suggested but it felt too formal. I looked at many old master's and Ph.d. theses and came to the conclusion that at my institution the most common thing is to first introduce your advisor as Prof. and then just refer to him or her by the first name.

So therefore I will write:

"First and foremost I would like to to thank my supervisor Prof. Paul Heinz for his guidance."

And then use his first name.

Back
Top Bottom