• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Course and Program Advice

Hey guys I just got accepted into an MS CS program (Top 20 US Undergrad) and I really want to break into quant. Either Research or Trading. I just want to avoid software dev as I am much more interested and better at the theoretical CS courses. I also live in Hong Kong if that helps.

So far these are my MS Courses. Would these be sufficient and possible for me to break into quant firms. Additionally, I am down to do extra accreditations in colleges or online if certain courses aren't available. A second 1 year Masters in Computational Finance/Stats is maybe possible if all else fails but I'm really trying not to do that if possible. My program allows me to select some courses from the data science department also.

1. Linear Algebra and Optimization
  2. Graduate Algorithms (Required)
  3. Prob Theory and Statistical Inference
  4. Statistical Learning (Includes Regression, Trees SVM etc)
  5. Data Mining
  6. Networking (Required)
  7. Distributed Systems (Required)
  8. Object Oriented Design and Analysis. (Required)
  9. Statistical Modeling (Experimental Design Linear Modeling etc)
  10. Machine Learning (Required)
Available Non Useless Courses:

-Databases

-NLP

-Generative AI

-Robotics

-Computer Vision

-Embedded Systems

-Big Data Architecture

Let me know if this is sufficient to break in. Would I need some more math courses for outside (certs maybe).

Last edited:
What is your undergrad in? For trading you just need to pass online assessments / get an interview and pass to prove you are capable. For research it helps to have some sort of research experience. There are definitely some relevant courses in the list that will teach you relevant skills / topics.

What is your undergrad in? For trading you just need to pass online assessments / get an interview and pass to prove you are capable. For research it helps to have some sort of research experience. There are definitely some relevant courses in the list that will teach you relevant skills / topics.
Hey thanks for the reply, for undergrad I did Economics and Finance with Minor in CS from a top 20 Worldwide.

Back