• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Course Selection

Hey guys,
I'm currently taking classes at a local uni to get my math background up with one of the hopes being to apply to MFE programs in a year or so. I was wondering what classes would be useful for pre-reqs. When I look through the site Calc 1-3, differential equations, and linear algebra are fairly straight forward in regards to selecting the classes. However, people often just list statistics and probability but what should those classes cover to make sure they're good preparation?

Courses like Probability and Statistics are rather standard. My assumption is that your school joins Prob with Stat as "Class 1", then has 2 more Stat Clasess 2,3. This is really all you need. It's more about how much you can remember once you're done. I've taken stat classes more than once, and interestingly, many do not really teach more than the top 4-5 probability distributions.

What you should do is find the "cheat sheet" for Cals 1, Calc 2, Calc 3, Prob, Stat 1, Stat 2, and Lin Alg/DIff Eq.
(e.g. linear algebra cheat sheet - بحث Google )

If there's something on the cheatsheet that isn't on your syllabus, you can get the gist of it, and know what to look up on your own. Not sure your location, but most community colleges do a good job of getting the right content into their math classes. If you're paranoid, go to www.berkeley.edu and read the blurbs for the equivalent classes as a comparison. I feel confident that your program will have what it needs. Courses numbered 100+ are "upper division" (i.e. prerequisites completed and now major is declared).

Back