Programs to Choose from

• CU MSOR

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • CU MAFN

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Gatech QCF

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
Hello guys, I am an international applicant for quant programs and I have received so far these three programs in US, namely MSOR and MAFN in Columbia Univ, QCF in Gatech.

It has been a tough choice for me. I have comprehensive bg in math and computer, not great I guess; but I am interested in both of them. In order to secure a related job in US, I need some suggestions about these programs.

Thanks

could someone please share some ideas?
for example, I kinda of wonder the employment of MAFN graduates. they informed me that they donot have statistical reports on that, why so?

It is really a tough choice. Honestly speaking, it should depend on your career goal and financial capability. If you don't care about the expenditures for the graduate study, I recommend the programs in CU. MSOR will be quite suitable for PhD in the future, only if you have such interests. MAFN will be more competent in financial industry after graduation, because of the location convenience.

It is really a tough choice. Honestly speaking, it should depend on your career goal and financial capability. If you don't care about the expenditures for the graduate study, I recommend the programs in CU. MSOR will be quite suitable for PhD in the future, only if you have such interests. MAFN will be more competent in financial industry after graduation, because of the location convenience.

Thank you for the information.....I heard that studying in CU programs would cost like 100000-120000 dollars if one chooses to finish the education in 3 semesters. I donot know if its true but I guess most of these programs cost a lot now, maybe except Baruch.....
As for MSOR and MAFN, I kinda of wonder the employment in past yrs....I wonder if anyone can share some info here.

Thanks again for your answer.

I have already posted this, but didn't get any response as of now. Do you know if we need to pay additional 30k for term 3? Since the number of courses taken might be less, I am planning to take 2, couldn't we pay per credit basis?

I have communicated with an alumni from Columbia U, MAFN program. As far as I know, the tuition for CU is paid by semester around 28000 dollars for each one. The MAFN program can be accomplished in 3 semesters, but you will pay for the extra 28000 dollars, if you choose this way. The benefit of this choice is that you will have more time to find a job in NYC. The course can also be paid by units, like half units. You could make a little adjustment according to your necessity. By the way, I heard that the tuition for MAFN has increased to 30000 each semester from fall,2014. The MSOR costs less, but it's less competent for you to apply for jobs in America. The only benefit for the MSOR is the possibility to apply for PhD in IEOR, CU. By the way, MSOR has around 180 students. The class size is quite large.

I have communicated with an alumni from Columbia U, MAFN program. As far as I know, the tuition for CU is paid by semester around 28000 dollars for each one. The MAFN program can be accomplished in 3 semesters, but you will pay for the extra 28000 dollars, if you choose this way. The benefit of this choice is that you will have more time to find a job in NYC. The course can also be paid by units, like half units. You could make a little adjustment according to your necessity. By the way, I heard that the tuition for MAFN has increased to 30000 each semester from fall,2014. The MSOR costs less, but it's less competent for you to apply for jobs in America. The only benefit for the MSOR is the possibility to apply for PhD in IEOR, CU. By the way, MSOR has around 180 students. The class size is quite large.
Tuition
Graduate students enrolled in M.S., Professional Degree, or Eng.Sc.D. program are charged $1,640 per credit, except when a special fee is fixed. Graduate tuition for Ph.D. students is $39,852, or $19,926 per Residence Unit. The Residence Unit, full-time registration for one semester, rather than for individual courses (whether or not the student is taking courses), provides the basis for tuition charges. Ph.D. students should consult the bulletin for the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

http://gradengineering.columbia.edu/tuition-fees-and-payments-0

Where did you get the information that it's a fixed 28K per semester?

Thanks Zhang, if I take the 3 semester option then do I need to pay 3 X 30k ? or can I get away paying less for sem 3 by opting for half unit?

Last edited:
I believe if you're on a student visa, you need to be registered as a full-time student. Half-unit registration might not fulfill those requirements. You should just reach out to Columbia's ISSO office to confirm.

Thank you about the costs of MAFN. Do you have any info about its employment? I heard back in 2011 ,2012 that about 70% of MAFN graduates had full-time jobs in US. But I donot know if it is true. Anyway, the employment in MAFN and MSOR seems like mysteries.

I'm beginning MAFN in the Fall and heard from a faculty member that the placement last year was 50% employed at the time of graduation, 85% within three months, and 100% within 6 months, which seems roughly similar to other programs. I think UCLA's website just says something like "90% placed within 3 months."

I don't know anything about salaries or locations, but I got the impression pretty strongly that the reason for them not officially compiling and publishing the stats isn't that they "have something to hide," it's because they're just an under-resourced math dept and have never bothered doing it despite knowing they probably should...

Last edited:
Back