Did anyone get in top MFE program with a withdrawal on transcript?

I didn't do well in my first two differential equation exams, so I am thinking about whether I should late drop it.
If I withdraw this course and take it in the next semester, would it influence my application for 2021fall?

I didn't do well in my first two differential equation exams, so I am thinking about whether I should late drop it.
If I withdraw this course and take it in the next semester, would it influence my application for 2021fall?
I saw if you can explain it and get a good grade I don’t see what the problem would be

I had withdraw on topology and algebraic geometry courses (never retook them) and a C+ in ODE. Admitted to Columbia, rejected by Princeton and CMU. Honestly I don't know how much that C+ harmed my application chances.

I had a C+ in finite mathematical structures as my lowest grade and no withdraws and was able to get interview with Princeton. I think for Princeton you won’t get accepted without almost perfect GRE if you have a low gpa and a good way of explaining how you did bad and how you overcame it.

I also got an interview with Princeton so I guess they didn't see the withdraws/C+ as disqualifiers on their own, but look at our entire profile. I do have a handful of As on higher level maths courses and 170Q in GRE.

However I'm rather certain that the C+ (in ODE, an important prerequisite for MFE no less) did raise a flag when they reviewed my profile. For OP I'd say if they can comfortably retake the course without messing up the upcoming semesters' course plans, go for it. A withdraw and an A afterward would look better than say a B- or C+. Otherwise they can probably "make up" for it by having good grades elsewhere and good GRE.

I had withdrawn database course due to some medical reason and retook it the following semester. Got accepted into Columbia and CMU, rejected by Princeton.

Personally, I feel as long as you have a good reason for it, it shouldn't be much a problem. During the CMU interview, they did ask me why I withdrew , whether I retook it , and what grade I got when I retook the course (luckily, i got A+) . I just explained my medical leave and it was all fine.

Back