Difference between MSc Financial Engineering and MSc Operations Research

Hello,

I would like to know about the difference between the two masters. Maybe I'll be accepted at the MSc Operations Research of Columbia University. I mean after the master, do we have the same opportunity
to work in financial industries (Quant / Sales / Trading) if we want ? Or it will be more difficult for person who did Operations Research?

Anybody could tell me what's Operations Research is exactly and in what it consist ?

Thank's

coursewise, you can take electives as an or student to somewhat mirror that of an mfe student. however, mfe has its on career service, so that's a huge difference, and many firms know mfe is a top quant program, as opposed to or, which sends students into the actuarial field, it, etc

the mfe career services is a class ieor 4720. jenny mak will teach u resume writing, interview skills, networking etiquette, and whatnot. alumni and second year students will be invited to talk about recruiting and experience. also firms will do mock/real interview just for mfe students. but of course, only mfe students can register.

academic wise, the foundation classes r usually packed and the registration priority is given to mfe students. those classes r directly related to the electives which r also often restrictive to mfe only. so the two programs r really not the same. u can still get the general career support and job postings from university career center and lions share. but that's like almost on ur own competing with everybody else.

Back