• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do I have a shot??

Hey!

So I've been reading this forum on and off since Fall 2012 when I was searching for a career path. I was a senior undergrad pursuing a degree in Industrial Engineering. The spring prior, it dawned on my that my passion in finance is probably too strong to ignore so I picked up a minor in finance. I enjoyed all my Math classes (I took all the pre'reqs through Dif EQ) and really enjoyed my modelling classes (Stocastics, linear programming, some non-linear programming, etc.). My comp. programming skills are basic, but I do know some VBA for excel. I'm very motivated to learn more. When I decided to really go after pursuing a MFE (or MQF) last winter I was really rushed to take the GRE and meet the application deadlines. I didn't do near as well as I know I could on the GRE [Q: 161 (85%)] and got discouraged. I quit the persuit of my goal, succumbed to the pressure of increasing student loans (equaling about 30k at the time), and now I work a typical industrial engineering job making 60K a year and really not enjoying myself... I also feel like I am selling myself short.

There were some outside factors that cause me to give up so easily, but that was the just of it. I suppose now my plan is to actually study for the GRE, up that score, and put together a really good application for Fall 2014 (not to mention find out exactly what specialties interest me most in the quant field). I would love to end up at Rutger's for their MQF program (or something similar). Given my background can you comment as to whether our not this pursuit is worth my time and if there is anything I can do to beef up my application in the next year? I guess my hope would be to also get some financial assistance. My undergrad GPA was 3.90/4.

Thanks for the help and I appreciate you creating the forum... it has already been a wonderful resource!

So far it sounds like you would be a perfect candidate for Rutgers MQF. Good luck! (y)

Back