• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Do I need to explain my GPA in personal statement

Dears,

I have been reading the threads about Baruch MFE on quantnet for a while, and the more I read, the more I like this program. But I'm worried about my GPA, which is below 3.0. There are serveral reasons, my undergraduate school applies a harsh scoring system and I have to say I did not pay much attention on my academic performance then.
Do I need to discuss my low GPA in my personal statement, since there is no additiona essay for this program. Thanks very much.

David has a point. My GPA wasn't phenomenal (I had a second degree in biology and classes like organic chemistry to mess with it). I didn't discuss it or make excuses for not being a great biologist and instead chose to talk about my draw towards mathematics and programming. This turned out to be pretty good. ... although my GPA was still over a 3.0, so I don't know what to tell you man.

How did you score in your mathematics courses?

David, thanks for your point, my scientific GPA, including maths and programing is better than overal GPA, although it's only slightly higher than 3.0.

Could you give me some further guidance? Thx.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

David has a point. My GPA wasn't phenomenal (I had a second degree in biology and classes like organic chemistry to mess with it). I didn't discuss it or make excuses for not being a great biologist and instead chose to talk about my draw towards mathematics and programming. This turned out to be pretty good. ... although my GPA was still over a 3.0, so I don't know what to tell you man.

Hi Alexer, thanks for sharing your own experience. Seem that it's unwise to explain for the negative GPA, is it? Will make things worse? I planned to tell the adm com that it was a regretful experience, and I learnt a lot from this lesson and cherished every second to recover the time I have wasted.I'm not sure whther the story will work, although it's the fact really, or should I simply focus on the positive aspects of my profile?
Thanks.

Do whatever you have to do to demonstrate that you can survive and succeed in the program as well as on the Street. That is the bottom line. Your GPA demonstrates to the contrary. Be it with an explanation, more recent courses, or whatever... find a way to demonstrate...

Make sure you have solid grades in Linear Algebra and Probability Theory.
If not, perhaps you should consider retaking them or applying to the Pre-MFE program.

I agree with Yike Lu. If you can prove that you have sufficient knowledge set to succeed then nothing else matters.

Do whatever you have to do to demonstrate that you can survive and succeed in the program as well as on the Street. That is the bottom line. Your GPA demonstrates to the contrary. Be it with an explanation, more recent courses, or whatever... find a way to demonstrate...

You'er right, Yike, I got ur point, I'll think about it, thank.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Make sure you have solid grades in Linear Algebra and Probability Theory.
If not, perhaps you should consider retaking them or applying to the Pre-MFE program.

Dear David, thanks for mentioning Pre-MFE program, I rarely clicked the link to check the program until your recommendation. I found it would be helpful, however, I forgot to clarify that I am an international student, I guess I will have some problem attending this program. Do you happen to know anything about this problem? Btw, I guess I should send an email to the adm com as well. Thanks anyway. It's really helpful.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I agree with Yike Lu. If you can prove that you have sufficient knowledge set to succeed then nothing else matters.

Thanks anujjain, Do you think I should take a GRE sub to demonstrate? Btw, I have a Gmat score of 770(M:50), do you think it'll help, I know Gmat math is too simple though...

Back