• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do US and UK education system produce math geeks?

Firstly, US and UK may import talented math guys. But what about local education system?
I'm very confused. My first education is not in math, but in some engineering discipline and currently I'm studying pure math at some UK university on part-time basis. I found that the level of math education compare to Russian & Ukrainian educational system is on a very low level.
I may start from books: I have read many books advised by my UK university, but I'm disappointed: they are not tough. As a result, I buy books from Russian online shops written by Soviet Union scientists like Fihtengoltz G. M. Analysis - and it's quite tough to read compare to US/UK authors. I think books like this will blow mind of average US/UK math student.

What is your opinion?

... currently I'm studying pure math at some UK university on part-time basis. I found that the level of math education compare to Russian & Ukrainian educational system is on a very low level.
I may start from books: I have read many books advised by my UK university, but I'm disappointed: they are not tough.

Which university and which books? It's true that British standards have been declining for decades and converging to American levels. Partly perhaps because 'A' levels have become easier, less rigorous. Partly -- and in related vein -- because hordes of youngsters now go to university, unlike fifty years ago.

Math "geeks" do organically come from the US and UK, but math doesn't have the prominence in the USA and UK (I am assuming) as it does in India/China/Former Soviet states.

Back