• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does having a legacy status boost your application?

My father was a former professor at Baruch, well known with Baruch's business school's dean of admission, and he helped found the Wasserman Trading Floor. If I can prove it, will Baruch take it in consideration?

Should that be a factor in admissions? No. Do things like that (i.e. connections) help in the real world? Yes.

I think less so in MFEs than other programs. If you have the pre-read and a strong application, you don’t need it. If you don’t have the pre-reps, I don’t think it will help you. It’s pretty easy to figure out what someone knows (or doesn’t), and I can’t imagine a top rank program wanting to sacrifice placement or graduation stats for a favor to a former someone.

I think less so in MFEs than other programs. If you have the pre-read and a strong application, you don’t need it. If you don’t have the pre-reps, I don’t think it will help you. It’s pretty easy to figure out what someone knows (or doesn’t), and I can’t imagine a top rank program wanting to sacrifice placement or graduation stats for a favor to a former someone.
One reason to like this field. The interviews, especially for prop trading, are the same way.

Back