Does your alma mater matter?

Hey guys, I am new here so try and be nice :D. I am a potential career changer and I have a plethora of questions to ask. I'll try to list them instead of bunching them all into one large paragraph.

1) How important is the quality of your undergraduate institution in order to break into the financial engineering field? Are all of you from Harvard, M.I.T., Stanford, Cal-Berkeley, CalTech, etc...?
2) What are the favorite/least favorite parts about your jobs?
3) How much do you work every week? 45, 50, 60 hours?
4) What are the differences between the different type of quant jobs, i.e. those working for hedge funds vs. investment banks, etc..?
5) Are all of the jobs located in NYC?

I don't want to overwhelm you guys with questions so I will stop there. I'll give you a little background about myself too, in case you have any specific advice for me. Right now I'm working in the Twin Cities as an actuary. I obtained my fellowship two years ago, and my CERA (if you know what that is) designation three years ago. I work for a consulting company and my actuarial specialty is enterprise risk management, which is a relatively new track for actuaries. Since obtaining my fellowship I have been considerably bored so I figured I would look into financial engineering a bit. Oh and the reason I asked about the importance of my college's name brand is because I went to a crappy state college in the midwest, because in the actuarial field, your school doesn't matter. Therefore I just chose the cheapest, but I'm wondering if that will hinder me now.

1) Not all people here are from those well known schools. I think just like Wall Street, the members here come from various background, many from "crappy state school".
2) Most fav: living dangerously. Least fav: living dangerously.
3) More than actuary, that's for sure. It will vary widely from 50-80.
4) Get the Joshi guide "What do quants do" from Master reading list for Quants, MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
5) Most people here are from NYC area so I would assume they work on Wall Street and the tri-state area (hedge funds in CT, for example)

Welcome to QuantNetwork, Jamaal.

Back
Top Bottom