• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

dual boot

Has anyone ever tried installing a dual boot system with Linux and WinXP? I plan to get a laptop and get those two installed.

I have a Thinkpad T60 with XP on the main HD and Ubuntu on the second HD. Using grub, I can select boot partition at boot time. To dualboot on one single HD, you would need to install XP first and Linux later. Grub will then take over the boot table of Windows. I have done it before and it's not that bad. Make sure you do a full system backup before you try this. :D

Thanks Andy.

I think I am going to get a new laptop and erase everything on the HD. By the way, Thinkpad is good but expensive.

I know a guy who used to work for a computer magazine that rated computers. Every year all computer vendors sent a lot of servers, PCs and laptops to them for testing. He said he never found a problem on IBM's laptop while others always had some major or minor problems.

I am trying to get a Dell or HP. Anyone has any idea on those two?

kevin said:
Thanks Andy.

I always like Dell, and I'm still using one. But I've heard that HP is not so durable. Of couse, there are people like Andy who are so crazy about IBM's Think Pad. So, I would say either Dell or Think Pad, maybe?

Bridgett said:
kevin said:
Thanks Andy.
Of couse, there are people like Andy who are so crazy about IBM's Think Pad. So, I would say either Dell or Think Pad, maybe?
:) I don't think I'm crazy about Thinkpad, not like somebody who is a Dell fangirl
I have owned more than a half dozen Dell laptops, a Compaq, and 3 Thinkpads. I bought Dell, Compaq because they are cheap. I later bought Thinkpad T series because they are so durable. I have never had a single problem with them, knock on wood...
So, you can call me crazy but I go for the durability and quality, not for the price now. Besides, IBM is well known for its high quality customer service. As for your reference, I paid 1200. for my T60 from www.costcentral.com after rebate. The model is 2623-D6U. It has 3 year warranty.

Regarding to Bridgett's one.
Me, as an public service and educational IT person, go with Dell.
For a professional programmer, go with IBM.
There are only two IBM, and Dell to choose.
For Dell you can get a better price often. It will be even sweeter if you order it through school.
That will be Dell's Educational Division, NO TAX and better discount.
you should always check on www.dealsea.com to see any hot deal.

my experience with trying to install linux on my dell were not good at all.... i tried installing suse 9.2 ( i have previously had a dual boot on my desktop) and although linux installed well, my windows partion would not come up and the comp would hang out..... the comp was then under warranty and dell sent somebody to look into the problem but even he could not understand the problem and ultimatley the machine had to replaced....

pardasani said:
my experience with trying to install linux on my dell were not good at all.... i tried installing suse 9.2
You can try Ubuntu the latest version. I installed it on several Thinkpad laptops and desktop and none has failed. You can download the LiveCD and try to run it without installing anything on your HD. That's the best way to test if it works on your Dell.

Back