• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Extensive networking to obtain a role at a small asset manager

I have been working in bottom-up buy side equity research at a small asset manager for the past 1.5 years. I'm interested in attempting to pursue a role in quantitative portfolio management / research (I was a math major in college and developed an interest in the field by frequently speaking with guys in the quant group at my firm). I am considering applying for MS in Quant Finance / Financial Engineering / Financial Math programs, given that I don't have the right skillset for asset management quant roles at the moment (I only have basic skills in Python, R & Java and very limited knowledge about portfolio management from reading a few academic papers and white papers a week). My question is whether it makes sense to attempt to land an entry-level quant role at a small regional asset manager without a master's program if I spend significant time over the next year improving my skill set through Coursera / Kaggle and maybe trying to create some analyses at work (such as one based on my fund's historical exposure to different factors) that would help my team and help me learn. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Back