• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Feedback on plan for building profile for Baruch MFE Fall 2026?

• Thread starter Thread starter grxthy
  • Start date Start date
Hi everyone,

I posted here around a month ago, and have since put together a plan for the next year in order to bolster my application, as well as fill most of the quantitative holes from my undergrad degree. Any feedback/suggestions would be much appreciated!

A little background:
I graduated in 2021 with a BBA in Economics/Finance from Baruch College. My GPA was not good (~3.00), but I’ve since gained 3.5 years of experience in industry. My career so far has been in data engineering, software project management, and data science. I consider myself very proficient in Python, SQL, and various BI tools, and I have extensive experience managing global software projects (current doing this at a tier 2 IB, back-office). I have done lots of meaningful work so far at a few different companies that I am proud of, and have fantastic contacts for letters of recommendations.

Current Plan:

• Calculus 1-3: I’m currently re-taking Calculus I (took it in undergrad, but did not really learn it, and it's been years so i decided to take it all again. I am taking the final for this next week.) and plan to take Calculus II and III over the next ~6-8 months. These are flexible online courses through UND. I would've preferred to go through a better school, but my company only covers x amount every year for tuition reimbursement, and it was the cheapest and most efficient option to obtain the credits while I'm working full-time.
  • Baruch Pre-MFE Seminars: I’m planning to take nearly all the following seminars, fortunately my company will pay for these (assuming I get admitted):
    • Probability Theory for Financial Engineering
    • Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
    • Advanced Calculus for Financial Engineering (if time permits and I'm not overloaded with work)
    • C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    • Advanced C++ for Financial Engineering
    • Options Primer for Financial Engineering
  • Supplemental Readings/Studying
    • Linear Algebra and its Applications, Gilbert Strang
    • Econometrics: A Modern Approach, Jeffrey Wooldridge
    • Primer for the Mathematics of FE, Dan Stefanica (reading this in parallel to my courses - even though I may not be able to solve the exercises yet, it is helpful to see how it all relates to the material that will be taught in the MFE program).
  • Machine Learning Pet Project:
    • Independent project to scrape tons of NBA player prop data, identify arbitrage opportunities, and develop predictive models. I've been working on this on and off for a while with some peers and have made a modest amount of profit.

• Application Goal: The goal is to officially apply for Baruch’s MFE program in November 2025, for the Fall 2026 semester.

I’m still a little concerned that my lack of a highly quantitative undergrad degree might limit my chances for admissions to Baruch's MFE, but I could just be overthinking it. I’m also wondering if there are any additional steps I should be taking to strengthen my application or if there are alternative pathways I should consider.

I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have, especially if there’s anything I’m overlooking or could be doing differently to enhance my chances. Some book recs would also be great!

Thanks!

Pretty solid plan for Fall 2026. I like that you leave enough time to properly learn and prepare. This is the exact plan that I would do.
Get distinction on all of your pre-MFE courses and Bob's your uncle.
Don't forget the QBA.
Thanks Andy, this is reassuring. I made sure to give myself enough time to learn as much as possible + fill the pre-reqs, while still being able to work full time (and also not burn out).
As for the QBA, I allotted the last few months before applications open in November to consolidate + review all the material I learned and prepare for the QBA.

This is a very well-thought plan, it could be a very good blueprint for other people to prepare for admission a well.

Good luck!

Back