• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Financial Modeling with MATLAB at Baruch College, Mar 4

doug reich

Some guy
Financial Modeling with MATLAB at Baruch College

04 Mar 2009
12:45 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
Baruch College, Zicklin School of Business, Room VC10-215
Who Should Attend

• Faculty
  • Students
  • Researchers

Register for this free seminar.
Agenda Presenter:

Rick Baker, MSEE and MBA, Consulting Engineer

Financial Modeling and Analysis Applications with MATLAB:
· Forecasting risk assessment
· Portfolio optimization
· Bond and option pricing
· Cash flow analysis
Parallel Computing with MATLAB

We hope you can join us. Please contact me with any questions at email: heather.wellman@mathworks.com or tel: (508) 647-7093.

(See also Financial Modeling with MATLAB at Baruch - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum)

In filling out the registration form, I could not help but notice the plethora of salutation options. Though, I think they are missing a couple - Supreme Allied Commander, and God.

I attended first half and basically the first half was just an overview of the product/company. One good thing was that they have student version of MATLAB which you can purchase while you are a student, but the rep suggested that the updated version R200b is coming out in a week or so. So if you intend to purchase student version then you should wait a week and then buy it. I missed the second half, maybe someone else can comment on it.

I think as a program we should explore the possibility of having a presentation from MathWorks for the students in program especially since they have staff just for university connection/presentations.

It was largely a sales pitch. However, we were shown some samples of how to do VaR, optimization and GARCH modeling via matlab.

They posted the presentation files, including matlab source so here it is.

Attachments

• BaruchSeminar.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
Did anyone go to this workshop and can comment on whether it is useful at all or just a product sale pitch?

I felt like it was mostly a sales pitch. It did motivate me to start learning R, though. I've only just started tinkering with it today, but it seems to me that you can do much of the same stuff with R for zero cost.

I'm sure there are plenty out there who feel otherwise.

Back