• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Finding parameters of a Generalized Beta distribution of the second kind

Hi,

I have historical data for a ratio, and I need to find the corresponding GB2 parameters, a, b, p and q (respectively location, scale, skewness and kurtosis).

I tried to do it in Excel, after creating my histogram, I see clearly that the distribution has the shape of the generalized beta distribution of second kind (GB2).
Tried to use excel function (mean, std, kurt and skew, with transforming mean and std to 'a' and 'b' - method of moments) but when I plug all my parameters and graph the function, it is absolutely not looking like my histogram. I must be doing something incorrectly

Could anyone help me with this, I will much apppreciate it. (tools availables:excel, SAS, Mathematica, S-Plus)

Thanks !

Hi,

yes here it is,

Attachments

• GB2_Scoring.xls
    982.5 KB · Views: 78
I don't know anything about these functions... but looking at wikipedia, you seem to have misapplied the formulas for alpha and beta: Beta distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll play with it a little and if I find the problem I'll post back here.

EDIT: Again, not knowing anything about these distributions, see attached.

Attachments

• Copy of GB2_Scoring.xls
    1 MB · Views: 116
Thanks Doug !,

I will drill down further to see how you approached this, the shape looks good though.

Thank you for your help and time,

Jacques

Just a quick note: the changes I made were to adjust the formulas for alpha and beta closer to wikipedia's. Then I tried to create the PDF using the excel functions (if you have a more accurate way of getting the PDF from the CDF values than just taking finite differences, let me know!)

Back