First full time quant role at 29 after PhD?

• Thread starter Thread starter amc
  • Start date Start date

amc

I've become very interested in the application of deep learning in markets. So much so, I am considering popping in an application for a PhD.

However, I have just turned 25, meaning I will be 28/29 when I finish a PhD in the UK.

I'm in the full swing of applications for quant roles starting in 2016. I am doing reasonably well with interviews. Quant is generally where I want my career to be as I find it incredibly interesting.
  1. Would I struggle to find employment in a quant role nearing 30 after a PhD?
  2. Should I instead look at quant roles, in which I can climb to a senior level and pursue my own research ideas?
I have relatively little experience: Quant intern for 8 months in a London IB. Data science / consulting role for 8 months.

Just to clarify: I wouldn't be doing a PhD to get a quant role, rather, I would be forgoing a position starting in 2016 to do a PhD.

Starting your first full time quant position after 30 is not particularly unusual. In the US, many people don't even finish their PhD until 30 and then do a couple years of postdoc, making them 32 or so.

As for your desire to apply deep learning to financial markets, I wouldn't do a PhD just based on this speculative hope. First of all, who knows if that will even pan out as a profitable technique in 4 years. Secondly, if your goal is to make money and be successful in business, a PhD seems to be more of a detriment than an asset, in my experience. You won't learn the networking, managerial and social skills you need, and it will delay your entry into the workforce for too long. And by that time, you'll probably be married and won't have the flexibility to take the risks or work the long hours you need in order to succeed.

My opinion is, if you already happen to have a PhD in some topic, because you wanted to study it, and then later decide to go into finance, then fine. But getting a PhD in a non-financial, academic subject for the purpose of becoming a quant in 4 years isn't a great idea, for many reasons.

Thanks for the reply :)

To clarify though, I would not at all be doing a PhD to get a Quant. Rather, I'm genuinely interested in complex systems, physics & computer science and would find it exciting to do research in their intersection, which I believe is financial markets.

I am questioning if I should reject a quant role on the basis of not being able to pursue my own line of research. Instead, pursue a PhD, satisfy myself and then hit the job market again.

Starting your first full time quant position after 30 is not particularly unusual. In the US, many people don't even finish their PhD until 30 and then do a couple years of postdoc, making them 32 or so.

I was under the impression that there are few people in front office positions over 30 though, hence my concerns.

Back
Top Bottom