• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Global Research or S&T intern? aiming at being quant

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum (although I have been reading it a lot). I am a newly graduated computer engineering PhD experienced in Data Mining and Machine Learning (exploring the relationship between two data streams). I have been trying to squeeze into the quant world and applying for some places. I know how important an internship is.
Now say there are two intern positions which are 1.Global Research (equity research or credit research) and 2. Sales & trading. For the purpose of getting closer to a quantitative analyst, which one is better? (or anyone think these two places themselves are better than quantitative research?)

Thanks!

depends on wat type of quant u wana be (specialize)...
Thanks IntoDarkness. At the moment I am applying for the graduate routine of Quantitative Analyst in IBs which no specific type is assigned. I know there are a lot of different quant types but from my position, it is difficult for me to specifically know exactly the preference. Can you give examples that different types of quants would be benefit from which internship respectively? Or what about I say desk quant rather than model validation or research for now.

Can you give examples that different types of quants would be benefit from which internship respectively? Or what about I say desk quant rather than model validation or research for now.

I don't completely understand your English, but I think you're asking which internships will lead you to becoming what type of quant. Internship experiences vary from bank to bank, and many analyst programs are rotational, so they allow you to experience many parts of a bank so that you can see for yourself what types there are. If I were you, I would start with the job descriptions. Then, talk to the employers and professionals working there. But even if you said you wanted to be say, a "desk quant," there is no one type of internship that you should take. Just make sure the industry category and the skills you will be using match your profile and your interests.

Since you are a computer engineer, just focus on jobs that can use your skills. Figure out how computer engineers are used in the quant world, and start there.

I don't completely understand your English, but I think you're asking which internships will lead you to becoming what type of quant.

Since you are a computer engineer, just focus on jobs that can use your skills. Figure out how computer engineers are used in the quant world, and start there.
Thank you for the information and sorry for the bad Eng here.

Back