• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Got completely screwed by Jane Street intern round 1. How do I prepare better?

I'm currently a sophomore looking to apply for quant internships this summer. I just had a first round interview with Jane Street for a research intern position, and I needed interviewer prompting/help on every single question to get the right answer.

I've gone through former Jane Street questions (e.g. on glassdoor) and I could solve pretty much all of them instantly. I go to a top 5 school and like to think that I'm one of the better students there (top 20% at least). I've done math competitions since middle school with a decent amount of success, and my area of focus is probability, so you'd think I'd be able to at least pass round 1 (which I likely won't, but who knows?). Despite this, I came out of the interview feeling like a complete idiot.

I now realize that the research division probably asks a lot harder questions than, say, trading, but I'm still really disappointed in my performance. I've read "A Practical Guide for Quantitative Finance Interviews" and have done most of the problems in there. But besides that, how can I better prepare for interviews?

Back