• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Guidance regarding MFE course

hi

I just want to get some advice regarding my interest in MFE course for US universities.

I have done my MBA and Btech from India an till now I have 8 years of work experience in India. My work typically revolves around statistical model building for credit risk side. i somewhat strongly feel that doing QF or MFE or such course will help my boosting career.

But I have few major concerns, If anyone could advice me then it would be such a great help:
1. After doing MBA and Btech, is it a wise decision to join any mfe program. since MFE in US can accomodate mostly freshers or entry level professionals. how would i fit in such a scenario. Will my degree, experience and age (33) backfire on my decisions.
2. About job: If i go for MFE, how would be my job chances would be. since i believe most of the companies will offer entry level job to graduates, how these companies will see my resume.
3. Is there any other alternative I can think of which suits my experience and education apart form MFE like Ms in Finance or MS stats etc.
4. What is the chances to get decent scholarships.

1. After doing MBA and Btech, is it a wise decision to join any mfe program. since MFE in US can accomodate mostly freshers or entry level professionals. how would i fit in such a scenario. Will my degree, experience and age (33) backfire on my decisions.

You are not a typical early career student, so you're not going to fit smoothly into the entry level pipeline. That said, if you are solid in coding (check via hacker rank / leetcode, etc), solid math foundation, solid probability foundation, you will be more competitive. For a desirable outcome, you're going to have to find a way to distinguish yourself from the crowd. From my point of view, more education is better than less education.

2. About job: If i go for MFE, how would be my job chances would be. since i believe most of the companies will offer entry level job to graduates, how these companies will see my resume.

Many will see your resume, especially if you get into a top ranked program. You are going to likely have to make a personal connection to find a job; as mid-career, you're not going to fit into the standard recruiting pipeline. These are possible, but not easy. It takes some time to learn the nuances of networking and communication. Those who are most dismissive of these soft skills tend to have the shittiest outcomes, regardless of intellectual capabilities.

3. Is there any other alternative I can think of which suits my experience and education apart form MFE like Ms in Finance or MS stats etc.

Yes, many, though it depends on what your desired outcome is. Want to stay in India, live in the US, UK, work on sell side, buy side, dark side? I made up the last one, but maybe that's risk / compliance.

4. What is the chances to get decent scholarships.
Minimal; MFE, like most professional / vocational degrees are money makers for the school. You're getting trained for specific marketable skills. If you're outstanding, then you have a chance - people on here post about getting scholarships from time to time.

There's risk involved, but also a lot of upside if you can pull it off.

Back