• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Harvard and MIT to Offer Free Online Courses

Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on Wednesday announced a new nonprofit partnership, known as edX, to offer free online courses from both universities.

Harvard and M.I.T. are not the only elite universities planning to offer a wide array of massively open online courses, or MOOCs, as they are known. This month, Stanford, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Michigan announced their partnership with a new for-profit company, Coursera, with $16 million in venture capital.

Education experts say that while the new online classes offer opportunities for students and researchers, they also pose some threat to low-ranked colleges.

“Projects like this can impact lives around the world, for the next billion students from China and India,” said George Siemens, a MOOC pioneer who teaches at Athabasca University, a publicly-supported online Canadian university. “But if I were president of a mid-tier university, I would be looking over my shoulder very nervously right now, because if a leading university offers a free Circuits course, it becomes a real question whether other universities need to develop a Circuits course.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/e...-team-up-to-offer-free-online-courses.html?hp

While I think these courses are amazing, I'm wondering, what about offering the real cash-cow career-finding courses? The stochastic calculuses and the quant finances and the MBA curricula that would eventually make the whole BS/MS thing redundant?

Now a PhD... how would you offer the online coursework for that?

Columbia University offers online classes, but its really expensive :(
http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/deg.php

I don't think Colleges will ever offer online degrees for free. It would kill their business model.

However, these programs offer free certificates. I'm not sure if the free certificates will mean anything to employers?

Back