Help in Deciding between Georgia Tech - QCF Vs UPenn MSE - Scientific Computing

Hi All,
I have got admission at Georgia Tech - QCF and University of Pennsylvania MS in Engineering (Scientific Computing) beginning Fall 2015.

My background : BS - Electrical and Computer Engineering from University of Texas at Arlington graduating in May 2015. I have done two summer internships and both were in Software Development. Have completed a Certificate in Applied Business at University of Colorado Boulder and the Summer School Program at London School of Economics on "Options, Futures and Financial Derivatives".

While I am inclined to opt for Georgia Tech given my interest in Quantitative Finance, I am in a dilemma since UPenn is also a prestigious Ivy League university. Moreover I understand that the MSE Scientific Computing is application focused and I have opportunity to take electives that specialize in Financial Engineering domain. Their website description of the program is below:

"The program provides a rigorous computational foundation for applications to a broad range of scientific disciplines, combining a comprehensive set of core courses centered on numerical methods, algorithm development for high-performance computational platforms, and the analysis of large data. In addition, it offers flexibility to specialize in different computational science application areas".

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/prospective-students/graduate/programs/masters/sci-comp.php

Am looking for clarity and would request help in resolving my dilemma!
Thank you.

Hi All,
I have got admission at Georgia Tech - QCF and University of Pennsylvania MS in Engineering (Scientific Computing) beginning Fall 2015.

My background : BS - Electrical and Computer Engineering from University of Texas at Arlington graduating in May 2015. I have done two summer internships and both were in Software Development. Have completed a Certificate in Applied Business at University of Colorado Boulder and the Summer School Program at London School of Economics on "Options, Futures and Financial Derivatives".

While I am inclined to opt for Georgia Tech given my interest in Quantitative Finance, I am in a dilemma since UPenn is also a prestigious Ivy League university. Moreover I understand that the MSE Scientific Computing is application focused and I have opportunity to take electives that specialize in Financial Engineering domain. Their website description of the program is below:

"The program provides a rigorous computational foundation for applications to a broad range of scientific disciplines, combining a comprehensive set of core courses centered on numerical methods, algorithm development for high-performance computational platforms, and the analysis of large data. In addition, it offers flexibility to specialize in different computational science application areas".

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/prospective-students/graduate/programs/masters/sci-comp.php

Am looking for clarity and would request help in resolving my dilemma!
Thank you.

Seriously, I would go with the UPenn offer, but thats my personal opinion. Just out of curiosity, which one is giving you the best financial package/cost efficiency?

Seriously, I would go with the UPenn offer, but thats my personal opinion. Just out of curiosity, which one is giving you the best financial package/cost efficiency?
I am awaiting the financial offer decisions which has not been communicated yet. Expecting some sort of financial support from both the universities.

I am awaiting the financial offer decisions which has not been communicated yet. Expecting some sort of financial support from both the universities.
hi, what's your career goal, do you want specifically work in quantitative finance, or would you be interested in other domains also?
the Msc in scientific computing woud allow you other options than finance since it's not geared toward that.

I visited this site https://srfspdf.apps.upenn.edu/srfsPdf/jsp/fast.do?fastStart=courseRegister and looked at Maths, applied maths (computational), finance, computer science, and finance courses.

They don't have mathematics or computer science courses geared toward finance (except maybe "mathematics of finance")
even if you want to take some of the finance courses inside your master in scientific computing, it might be a problem (you may require additional financial resources, and permission from your adviser, and that's TBD).

http://scheller.gatech.edu/degree-p...ive-and-computational-finance/curriculum.html

Gatech is clearly designed (or advertised at least) as a more straightforward preparation for a future Quant.

Back