• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help with Undergrad Choice

My top two schools are: 1) instate nontarget where I can get a math degree, graduate in 3 years, and do a Master in Finance or 2) oos target public school where I will take out 150K+ in loans and get into the job market from there.
I'm leaning towards choice 1. Can you guys help me with my decision.
God I hate being middle class. You don't make enough to pay for college but you make just enough for the government to say screw you.
Any advice if I do plan to peruse a ms?

150k for a public school ? O_o
Which school are we talking about?

Indiana University- Kelley School of Business.
It's 40k a year (actually, 160k all 4 years) and all they gave me were loans.

Alright, thanks guys.
Also, what should I be doing during my undergrad studies to best position myself as a successful applicant when it comes time to apply for master of finance programs?

Assuming you've already taking AP calculus (if you haven't, that raises questions), get through calculus 2-4 (if you took the BC version of AP calc, you may be exempted from calc 2). Take a course on linear algebra concurrently (which should at least get to the spectral theorem and Jordan and rational canonical forms). In the second or third semester, take calc-based probability. Followed by a course on mathematical statistics. After the calc sequence is finished, take at least one semester of ODEs. Follow up the one or two semesters of ODEs with at least one intro course on PDEs (which focuses on computation rather than general theory). Then at least a couple of semesters on numerical analysis, again starting at a basic level. Before the numerical analysis, at least a semester or two of programming -- something like C, perhaps. If there are upper-division courses on stochastic processes (Markov chains, Poisson processes),linear programming, and real analysis, take them. Above all, don't rush. Aim for a solid foundation. Immerse yourself in whatever courses you're taking without seeing them as stepping stones to something else.

Hi JohnJohn. IlliniProgrammer from the other forum here.

Couple quick thoughts:

-Nearly all MFEs/ serious MSFs require some programming background and at least a background in calculus-based probability, linear algebra, and diffyqs. As a math major, the calculus/probability/linear algebra courses are a given, but the computer science courses- like numerical methods, algorithms, and data structures aren't. Make sure you take those.

-If you have time, some finance and derivatives courses would be helpful. However, trying to finish a Math degree in three years, you've got a lot on your plate.

Back