• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cornell FE Housing in Ithaca

roni

Cornell FE
Hey guys,

What do you guys think of the Downtown area? it seems to be close to stores and everything but 30 mins walk to the campus (Business and Engineering schools).
I was told that the walk can be rough. Anybody familiar with the area?

I want something close to everything but don't want to pay the prices of Collegetown. Don't know if the extra $150-$300/mo is worth it.

Thanks.

Are you going to get a car? Bus pass? Both options will cost you. The ideal situation is to make friends with someone with a car. I lived in a cooperative building, close to campus, but I had roommates. Contact house officers and see if there are openings. I never rented myself.

collegetown will be worth it, as you're very close to the engineering school (assuming that's where the program is housed). additionally, all of the restaurants around the area will be quite convenient. collegetown bagel will do wonders as you trudge over to school in the morning...

and really, do you want to live amongst a ton of head shops anyways? :P

(also, dp dough is cheap, filling, and delicious. 8 bucks or so for a delivery calzone)

p.s. see, roni? i can be helpful :P

Are you going to get a car? Bus pass? Both options will cost you. The ideal situation is to make friends with someone with a car. I lived in a cooperative building, close to campus, but I had roommates. Contact house officers and see if there are openings. I never rented myself.

Hey Tom,

I don't have a car. Actually, I found a studio in Collegetown for $776/mo, I think I got lucky (given that the current prices for studios in Collegetown are $900-$1200) . There was this girl who signed a contract for a studio in Nov 2010 for 2011-2012 academic year, but she had a change of plans and have to leave Ithaca for a year or something like that. So, I took over her lease.
I got it at 114 Summit Ave... it seems to be pretty close to everything.

Lets keep this thread moving!! I really do not know where to live in Ithaca.
If you have a car and you are looking for saving some money, check out Downtown or somewhere around North campus.

Check out Gunhill.com, Fairview.com, ithacarenting.com, craigslist.com

At first I was going to get a studio from Fairview. The price was pretty high, $1000/mo all in. But then I found a studio on Craigslist.com.

collegetown will be worth it, as you're very close to the engineering school (assuming that's where the program is housed). additionally, all of the restaurants around the area will be quite convenient. collegetown bagel will do wonders as you trudge over to school in the morning...

and really, do you want to live amongst a ton of head shops anyways? :p

(also, dp dough is cheap, filling, and delicious. 8 bucks or so for a delivery calzone)

p.s. see, roni? i can be helpful :p

Thanks for the info mfegrad.
I think you are right about collegetown... it's an extra ~$2000, but I heard the winter in Ithaca can be rough. So, I'd rather pay that extra money but stay close to everything.

question, did you get your bachelors/ first masters from Cornell?
Thanks.

Hey Tom,

I don't have a car. Actually, I found a studio in Collegetown for $776/mo, I think I got lucky (given that the current prices for studios in Collegetown are $900-$1200) . There was this girl who signed a contract for a studio in Nov 2010 for 2011-2012 academic year, but she had a change of plans and have to leave Ithaca for a year or something like that. So, I took over her lease.
I got it at 114 Summit Ave... it seems to be pretty close to everything.
Good deal.

@roni
you are sooo lucky to get this over with. I still have a hard time finding the right one at the right price. Your building is nice. I was looking at the building next to you, 216 and 222 Dryden Rd, and the landlord quoted me like $1300-1600 a month.

Yeah winter in Ithaca is rough, so I am willing to pay more to live around upper collegetown...but not to that extent.

@nuttavutj

Try Craigslist.com
Also, if you are looking for a roommate, put an ad on Craigslist.com. I got quite a few responses when I was trying to get a 2BR apartment.
Also, take a look at Fairview, it's $1000 all in but I think they will lease it for 11 months if needed.

Check out this website:
http://dedicatedpropertymanagement.com/702ebuffalost.html
They have a studio for 850/900 all in. It seems to be pretty close to the Engineering school.

winters in ithaca are worse than rough :/ it's beautiful in the late spring and fall, though.

and no, i didn't do a degree at cornell. i've had tons of friends go there, so i've visited, and i also spent a summer taking courses there many moons ago in high school.

As far as housing in Ithaca goes, try to avoid any private housing at all, they are usually expensive and are in bad conditions.

Furthermore, if you can brave the mountain climb (it is about 15-20mins walk from, say, Gun Hill Apartments to Rhodes Hall), then living a bit far from campus is REALLY worth it. Collegetown apartments usually run around $1000/month, while even places like Gun Hill are only about $500/month.

One last advice is that, even now, don't think it is too late to find housing in the company-managed apartment complexes, apartment filling this year is especially slow in Ithaca and there may just be room left still.

Do you work for Gun Hill :D

God no! But I've lived there for my entire undergrad and will be there the coming semester for M.Eng as well. I use Gun Hill as example because its probably one of the farther ones from campus and the only one I have experience with.

Back