• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How much does undergraduate school prestige matter in admissions for top MFE programs?

Hello everybody, this is my first post on here so bear with me. I go to a large state school where we are generally ranked in the mid 100s in US universities, and I can’t even find an official ranking for our math department. My question is how much of a problem will this be for me when I apply to MFE programs a couple years from now? And if it is a big issue, is there anything I can do to help minimize the issue without transferring?

Solution
Hello everybody, this is my first post on here so bear with me. I go to a large state school where we are generally ranked in the mid 100s in US universities, and I can’t even find an official ranking for our math department. My question is how much of a problem will this be for me when I apply to MFE programs a couple years from now? And if it is a big issue, is there anything I can do to help minimize the issue without transferring?
Best thing would be to study abroad at a top foreign school for a semester. I did it for a year.

You won't transfer, generally pay your home schools tuition, and studying abroad is a great experience regardless.
Take all math/stat classes if you're able.

You should be more worried about...
generally it doesn’t hurt you. But going to a prestigious school can often help you if you have worse grades for example. If you have a GPA of 3.7 or higher in relevant math, stats, and CS courses. You will not have a great chance imo :)

Best thing would be to study abroad at a top foreign school for a semester. I did it for a year.

You won't transfer, generally pay your home schools tuition, and studying abroad is a great experience regardless.

You should be more worried about undergrad's impact on job recruitment, where it is more of a concern.

Solution
generally it doesn’t hurt you. But going to a prestigious school can often help you if you have worse grades for example. If you have a GPA of 3.7 or higher in relevant math, stats, and CS courses. You will not have a great chance imo :)
I have a follow up question to that. My school has a grading systems where an A is 90-100%, B is 80-89%, and C is 70-79%. The grade points are 4,3, and 2 respectively. I know that many of the top schools have a different and more rigorous grading system.

You should be more worried about undergrad's impact on job recruitment, where it is more of a concern.
please correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the general standard that job recruiters don’t care much about your undergrad school once you’re in a grad program such as an MBA, MFE, or PHD? At that point it would be much more about your graduate school than undergrad. That is at least what my dad has told me but it could be different because he has a JD and not any of the above.

I have a question about the CS courses. Specifically how many I should take? I’m planning to take programming 1 and 2, programming paradigms, and algorithms at school and also getting the c++ course that is promoted so much on here. Is this overkill? Or not enough? It’s the one area that I really don’t know much about and can’t find a consistent answer on here for it.

I have a question about the CS courses. Specifically how many I should take? I’m planning to take programming 1 and 2, programming paradigms, and algorithms at school and also getting the c++ course that is promoted so much on here. Is this overkill? Or not enough? It’s the one area that I really don’t know much about and can’t find a consistent answer on here for it.
Sounds perfect to me tbh. You could probs skip the algorithms course, and idk what paradigms is, but more is always better than less. Generally, you need to have 2-3 programming courses that prove you can do OOP (preferably in C++)

I have a follow up question to that. My school has a grading systems where an A is 90-100%, B is 80-89%, and C is 70-79%. The grade points are 4,3, and 2 respectively. I know that many of the top schools have a different and more rigorous grading system.

please correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the general standard that job recruiters don’t care much about your undergrad school once you’re in a grad program such as an MBA, MFE, or PHD? At that point it would be much more about your graduate school than undergrad. That is at least what my dad has told me but it could be different because he has a JD and not any of the above.
Shouldn’t matter at most universities. I’d ask the programs, but I doubt they’ll have an issue with it.

Sounds perfect to me tbh. You could probs skip the algorithms course, and idk what paradigms is, but more is always better than less. Generally, you need to have 2-3 programming courses that prove you can do OOP (preferably in C++)
I disagree. Replace all CS courses with math and just take the C++/Python courses from this website. The first C++ course taught more than the first years worth of courses my schools CS students take.

It may be more true in Law, where Law School connections reign supreme. Graduating from Harvard Law means WAY more than a Harvard undergrad followed up by Baylor Law.

But in Finance, undergrad rep matters more than grad school rep- with some exceptions. It isn't a make or break, but it does matter.

how about graduating from so-so domestic uni with very high grades and a top program in Europe with not very good grades?
Do I still have a chance to reach to a top program if I work hard on math?
Both my undergraduate and masters degree are economics

Depends on what you mean by 'not very good grades.' If you mean a 2.1, or equivalent, you should be ok but it's still not equivalent to a top notch undergrad and a 2.1 from top grad.

Under a 2.1 is not favorable.

Still, top undergrad and no grad is better than any so-so undergrad and so-so top grad performance- with the exception of Baruch and Princeton's MFE (for websites listed on this program, or Part III type things if you want stuff outside). If you do alright in these programs (2.1 average equivalent and up) then recruiters generally give you a shot based on the rep of the program alone. All of this should be taken in the median sense, because you can end up in fantastic jobs from anywhere. Many top performers are from places we haven't heard of. But if you're looking to pass an eye test, undergrad seems to beat most else.

Depends on what you mean by 'not very good grades.' If you mean a 2.1, or equivalent, you should be ok but it's still not equivalent to a top notch undergrad and a 2.1 from top grad.

Under a 2.1 is not favorable.

Still, top undergrad and no grad is better than any so-so undergrad and so-so top grad performance- with the exception of Baruch and Princeton's MFE (for websites listed on this program, or Part III type things if you want stuff outside). If you do alright in these programs (2.1 average equivalent and up) then recruiters generally give you a shot based on the rep of the program alone. All of this should be taken in the median sense, because you can end up in fantastic jobs from anywhere. Many top performers are from places we haven't heard of. But if you're looking to pass an eye test, undergrad seems to beat most else.
@MikeLawrence
Thanks a lot for your response and info!
My grad school uses 10 scales and my grades would be 2.84 if I convert it to 4 scales, so maybe its still okay?
I was kinda regretting attending the grad school because of their harsh grading system and because econ is not seen as a solid enough background...

I also really appreciate if anyone else can add up!

Back