• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE How to Choose between Columbia MAFN, Umich MFE and Columbia MSOR

Did you read my post carefully?

I have to post it here again....

Total number of graduating students: 64
(4 students did not respond to the survey)

Students with employment*: 60

Percentage of students placed*: 100%
*of respondents

point taken. my mistake. i'd ventured over to the website to look at the stats and it's not readily apparent how large the graduating class size was (link: http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/pages/graduate/ms_financial_eng/fe_career_information.html). that's where i was coming from. but yes, those stats, while four years old, are indeed what were posted.

BTW, I just noticed CMU has released their latest placement data. That is the one for the batch that just graduated.

point taken. my mistake. i'd ventured over to the website to look at the stats and it's not readily apparent how large the graduating class size was (link: http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/pages/graduate/ms_financial_eng/fe_career_information.html). that's where i was coming from. but yes, those stats, while four years old, are indeed what were posted.

Using the data in the crisis, I didn't want to prove which program is better. As I said, it doesn't make any sense to compare top programs. I just wanted to say that the placement has little to do with the program itself (have already posted enough arguments.)

I think four years ago Columbia had better placement mainly because the quality of students at Columbia was better than CMU.
But recently with the dedicated efforts of CMU alumni through various channels(for example QuantNet) and B--School's culture of advertisement, many smart students were attracted to CMU. You guys have really done a very good job. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next few years.

Back