• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to improve my profile (finance major)

Hi,

I am a current Canadian undergrad (non-target) looking to apply to top MFE programs in 2-3 years. I am a finance major doing a minor in mathematics & statistics and have a year left in university (graduating may 2015).

I am looking for ways to improve my chances for the top programs but first am wondering if I even have a shot. So here are a few things about me:

-By the time I will have graduated, I will have completed these math courses: linear algebra, multivariable calculus and advanced multivariable calculus, probability, applied statistics, into to stochastic methods of operations research, and an intro to optimization class.

-I am currently taking an OOP class (my first) where we are using Java. I plan on learning more programming by myself (C++) and something else like R and potentially Python.

-I have a 3.85 cGPA (on 4.3), and a 4.15 finance GPA.

So I know my chances are almost non-existent right now. A few questions:

-Would it be worth it to do another bachelor's in math or CS?
-Do I have any shot at top programs if I am not from a top university?
-Is there any way for me to maybe join a master's program in CS without a bachelor's in CS?

I was looking at, down the line, applying at U of Chicago (from the info I've gathered it's the best place for trading/quant jobs, correct?), Columbia MFE, or Cornell MFE. I would like to work in Chicago or New York.

Say I graduate and work 1-2 years while doing more preparation, should I look at any kind of part-time or diploma programs?

How often do applicants from unknown school make it into top program (obv not asking for a number just trying to set my expectations)? Given the chance, should I transfer to a target school?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Just destroy the GRE. Since your not from a top school, even a high GPA won't mean that much. But if you get like 330+ on your GRE, which is standardized, it shows you have some ability.

Back