• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

I just took the GRE general exam and I didn't do well...

roni

Cornell FE
I totally missed the time management.
Had to rush through the last 6-7 questions.
I felt the exam was much easier than all of the questions I solved in Kaplan advanced questions book. Also, during my practice I was always within the limit, don't really know what happened this time.
This was my first time and I am planning on retaking it after my finals (after Dec 21st, probably on Jan 1-2nd).

The thing is that the due date for Columbia MFE is December 1st. And, there is no way I can take it tomorrow.

What do you guys think I should do ? should I take the shot and apply for the MFE program ? or should I retake it and apply for the MSOR (February 15th is the due date).

I am not worried about the other programs because I still have time for them ( Baruch, NYU, Cornell, CMU, Boston, Chicago).

btw, I scored 400V, 740Q.

If the rest of your application is ready, I would apply to Columbia now. Then retake the GRE for the remaining schools.

If the rest of your application is ready, I would apply to Columbia now. Then retake the GRE for the remaining schools.
yes, everything is ready. I was counting on the 800Q but totally screwed it up.

I also think I should give it a shot.
Also, maybe I should put a check mark for that part where they ask that if I don't get accepted in to the MFE they might consider me for the MSOR.

Thanks for your help and I would be happy to hear more opinions.

Roni.

You can also try telling them on your application what you told us about your study and practice experience with the GRE quant, and follow up with a timely 800 on a later test. The important thing is to get your application in by the deadline.

You can also try telling them on your application what you told us about your study and practice experience with the GRE quant, and follow up with a timely 800 on a later test. The important thing is to get your application in by the deadline.
OMG, this is an amazing idea !
that's what I am going to do.
I will add another paragraph in my SoP explaining the low grade .

Thanks very much for your help.

OMG, this is an amazing idea !
that's what I am going to do.
I will add another paragraph in my SoP explaining the low grade .

Thanks very much for your help.

I know your pain roni... I am an American born and I freaking got a 410... But at least I got a 800Q / 4.5 writing. How is your columbia application going along? I am waiting to submit my stuff tomorrow as well. Also, I don't think you should explain your low grade as it is only an excuse to Columbia (this is just what I believe).

I know your pain roni... I am an American born and I freaking got a 410... But at least I got a 800Q / 4.5 writing. How is your columbia application going along? I am waiting to submit my stuff tomorrow as well. Also, I don't think you should explain your low grade as it is only an excuse to Columbia (this is just what I believe).
good job on the 800Q.
I'll be happy with 400V and 800Q on my second attempt, lol. I know someone who got in to Columbia MFE with 330V and 790Q (during the recession,though. don't know if that was the reason).
And, I just submitted my application.

I actually think its good to explain. It's not like they will not notice the low grade if I don't mention it in the SoP.
I wrote 3-4 lines before the conclusion and said that I am planning on retaking it blah blah....
I don't think it will do bad for my application.

And, I just submitted my application.
I lowered my expectations due to the results of the GRE. But, I hope to improve on the second attempt and to be a better candidate for other schools.

Good luck !!

Yeah I am a baruch student as well. Double major in actuarial science and economics.

Cool, finance major + math minor (took a lot more than 3 courses of my minor) here :\

have you taken any actuarial exams ?

So you can still submit your application tomorrow? I wasn't sure what the deadline meant as some schools require the application to be submitted by midnight of the deadline while others by 3 pm. Columbia didn't specify so does that mean we have till midnight tomorrow? That would be great, I could use the extra time to polish my personal statement.

As high as I scored on the verbal, the vocabulary words on that are so worthless. I am not American born, I just have a strange but remarkably good memory.

SAT words I'd say generally get into the realm of "standard pompous" speaking. You could see the old masters of the universe talking about fortuitous windfalls and droll conversations with debonair coquettes.

GRE words break into a completely new level - "so pompous that nobody even uses half these words."

Cool, finance major + math minor (took a lot more than 3 courses of my minor) here :\

have you taken any actuarial exams ?

I have taken 2 actuarial exams actually. Glad to have found another Baruch student like Yike and me !

I have taken 2 actuarial exams actually. Glad to have found another Baruch student like Yike and me !
are you by any chance taking stochastic processes with prof. Howard this semester ??

are you by any chance taking stochastic processes with prof. Howard this semester ??

No I'm not. I'm taking it at hunter colleg next semester. I will be taking monte carlo next semester though.

Back