• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

IBM UltraBase Dock

I'm thinking of getting an IBM ThinkPad X60S Notebook. The DVD/CD does not come standard but rather through the IBM UltraBase dock(according to the IBM website). I'm thinking this is great because I will not need the DVD/CD that often and the notebook will be much lighter as a result of not having these. Does anyone currently own an IBM notebook and utilizes this option? Any thoughts/opinions?

:es_no_sir: Get a T60. You can take the DVD out to save weight but it is only a few ounces heavy. Your choices with an X60 are severly limited. It's ideally for people on the go so they take out all most every option.
Also, you will need to code a lot on your laptop and the bigger the screen, the better. That's why professional programmer have dual monitor so they can have several windows open at the same time.

Mike, if you are serious about getting an Thinkpad then Lenovo has a Tripple play promotion on T60 series till the end of the month.
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/thinkpad/t-series/index.html

FYI, Max and I have the same model T60 2623D6U. Keep in mind you pay tax if you buy from IBM website. A good alternative is Costcentral.com where I bought my IBM. I didn't have to pay tax there. The company is authorized IBM dealer, it's in PA so you get your laptop next day.

Look into models with 14.1" SXGA+ screen (1400x1050)

Thanks for head's up. Btw you still have to pay taxes(when you do a 1040 there's a new line in there about buying off of internet).

Andy said:
:es_no_sir: Get a T60. You can take the DVD out to save weight but it is only a few ounces heavy. Your choices with an X60 are severly limited. It's ideally for people on the go so they take out all most every option.
Also, you will need to code a lot on your laptop and the bigger the screen, the better. That's why professional programmer have dual monitor so they can have several windows open at the same time.

Since my full-time job is to program in Java and yes, having 2 monitors is awesome. I have 2 19" LCDs at work and it's just way more efficient for me. If you are planning on doing that a lot then you might want to also look for laptops/desktops that support 2 LCD at a time as well.

T60 is a really nice and durable machine. You can't go wrong with it. X series has 12.1" display, which is pretty small. I won't feel comfortable with it.

Back