• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Individual Retail Quant

Hi, is it possible to be a successful individual retail quant just trading my own money? I am not looking to join a firm , just interested in trading my own money. If so, where/how do I start ? What books / research papers should I read ?

Yes, there are million of retail traders/investors created during the Covid boom with the help of platform like Robinhood.
For a more complex strategies, people don't usually trade solo since the capital and research involved to generate idea, backtest, execute in enormous.
There are plenty of platforms that will allow you to test your idea and strategies. One is QuantConnect.
They have discord channels that you can share your idea with.
I would start by learning coding in Python/C++ and learn how to work with databases such as SQL, etc.

Back