• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is Financial background required to complete this course?

Hello,
I am planning to enroll for C++ Programing for Financial Engineering Online Certificate and I want to know if Financial background is required to complete this course.
Reason being Part VI Creating Applications in Computational Finance. I am taking this course to learn C++ and NOT enrolling in MFE program.

Thanks in Advance
-Raj
https://www.quantnet.com/cpp/

Hello,
I am planning to enroll for C++ Programing for Financial Engineering Online Certificate and I want to know if Financial background is required to complete this course.
Reason being Part VI Creating Applications in Computational Finance. I am taking this course to learn C++ and NOT enrolling in MFE program.

Thanks in Advance
-Raj

Hey Raj,
It's absolutely fine taking this course with no financial background - I took the course last year with no knowledge of financial engineering and had no problems with the material. For levels 1-8, you are just learning to code in C++. In level 9 you will encounter some finance, but I found that I could just google the formulae and methods as I went through level 9 and this was sufficient for me to do well in the exercises. In all honesty, I think this course is a great way to learn C++ whether or not you want to apply C++ in FE!! :)

Hello,

Thanks in Advance
-Raj
Most of the people aim to enroll in an MFE program afterwards, but 90% of this certificate will provide you with solid C and C++ knowledge.

On the bright side, on level 9 you will be exposed to advanced code that is used for other applications as well (Monte Carlo Simulation and Excel Visualisation) which is extremely usefull in any quantitative field you are coding for: it's all about data derivatives and manipulation.

Thanks Justine and Pavlos for your responses and are very helpful in decision making.

Back