• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Is it possible to get quant finance masters while working?

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to get a quant finance master all while working 12hrs/day Mon-Fri? Are there any good part-time programs accessible in New York?

Any thoughts on this would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,

macro_investor

logistically, yes. practically, it depends on your level of preparation. Most prepared in our program are consistently overloading courses and putting up great numbers. I'm on the lower end of the distribution, getting kind of crushed time wise.

Maybe consider Baruch's prep program in NYC as a trial run? If you're bored out of your tree, you'll probably be able to crush it.

Thanks for the answers everyone, I sincerely appreciate it. I have a follow-up question.

I have about 7 years of experience in global macro research (5 years sell-side, 2 years buy-side long-only top asset manager which is my current job). My goal is to become a portfolio manager a macro hedge fund. The issue is that most demand strong quant skills that I seem to be missing (I have econ&fin undergrad, not ivy league, some basic programming skills).

Consequently, I've been thinking of doing a quant finance masters. The issue is that I don't have the math or programming prerequisite to get accepted so I'll likely have to take a whole year of math&programming before. This means it could effectively take me 3 years to get the degree. Realistically, studying this while working doesn't really seem to be an option given work hours.

Is quitting my job to do this a waste of time or a good investment that will pay dividends later?

I am genuinely interested in raking up math & programming skills and quant finance does interest me. It seems that as time goes by these skills are going to be increasingly in demand.

Any thoughts on this would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,

macro_investor

Back