• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

J-1 visas?

I doubt anyone on this forum has ever come on a J-1 but in case anyone abroad is thinking of it, this account seems pertinent:

Lured by unsupervised, third-party brokers with promises of steady jobs and a chance to sightsee, some foreign college students on summer work programs in the U.S. get a far different taste of life in America.

An Associated Press investigation found students forced to work in strip clubs instead of restaurants. Others take home $1 an hour or even less. Some live in apartments so crowded that they sleep in shifts because there aren't enough beds.

I worked on a J-1 visa last summer in Washington, DC. However, I am Canadian and definitely looked into what I was getting into. I was not paid at my internship, and did not expect to. Everything was completely normal for me, except that by having a J-1, I am under the impression that I cannot obtain another US visa for two years from the time mine expired last August, since I was sponsored financially by my provincial government.

I am under the impression that I cannot obtain another US visa for two years from the time mine expired.

This is correct unless otherwise specified on your visa "not subject to 2 years residence requirement"

Back