Job for undergrads who wants to be quant

• Thread starter Thread starter Scot
  • Start date Start date
I am an undergraduate math major in an honors program, but since it is my first year, I am not very far into the math yet. I am looking for a job that will give me experience and skills that will help me get an internship and/or accepted into an MFE program.

Any suggestions what kind of job I should be looking for as an undergrad?

Thank you for your help!!

I am in the same situation. Currently attending the 1st year of Mathematical Engineering, I am looking for a job (internships, stage) in the financial sector.
Can anyone give some advice?

Thanks

Its kind of hard because you do not have the necessary experience. I have a finance internship but I am a Junior undergrad. Finance internships usually require you to be a Junior or higher due to the material you might see in the internship. They have other internships for freshmen but I doubt they will prepare you much for a quant position. The best thing to do now is to concentrate on your classes and get good grades, so when you do become a Junior you will be more competitive for an internship.

From my limited experience I would try to find any finance related internship you can. Good marks in your math classes show you have the quant skills while a finance internship proves your interest/desire to work in finance. Based on what most members here have been saying, this will do a lot to improve your profile. Get as many internships as you can fit in your schedule but be aware if you're a freshman your internship choices may not be especially exciting. I'm a junior ECE major on my third coop/internship and each internship has given my more responsibility than the last.

Think of an area of your interest and try to get a job as close as possible in that area. You have to start somewhere.
If you are interested in HFT, then get a programming job. It will go much longer than what your degree says.

Thank you

Thank you to all who have replied.

I am sending resumes out today. I am going to look for a teller job or answering the phones at a local mutual fund.

I think a job as a teller will give me the opportunity to move to head teller, CSR, loan processor, etc.. and give me a history of increasing responsibility.

Andy, thanks for the advise. I will keep that in mind since I am interested in HFT. However, at this point, I have only had one semester of C. So, I am not yet prepared for a programming job.

Have a great new year everyone.

Back