• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Job prospects after SOAS MSc Quantitative Finance

Hi , i recently got admitted to the MSc Quant at SOAS , it's a distance learning program and I would like to ask if anyone here heard of it.

I have an auditing and accounting backgroud.

I worked as an auditor at BDO and I am currently working part time remotely as an assistant accountant in Germany so I am familiar with corporate accounting and finance. I have a BBA that covered corporate finance (stocks, bonds, some DCF, financial markets etc.) on a bachelor level. I have free time to get a degree , and hopefully it lands me an IB job.

Anyone heard of the program ? how is it viewed ? It's following distance learning format and would this affect my odds in securing an internship ?

I also have an EU passport.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this as the Quant field is new for me.

Thanks for your replies.

What did you study in undergrad? None of your work is going to be terribly helpful for getting a quant job. It also signals that you don't have the skills to land or perform passingly well in a quant role.

I've never heard of the program, and I do expect the distance learning to affect your odds of an internship. The distance will inhibit interaction with the schools career services, prevent and companies from sending recruiters to the school (zoom can still happen but that's just not the same and won't be treated the same), and you won't get the benefit of being surrounded by fantastic peers who are working for the same goal.

But if you're going for IB then a quant masters is not the best route. You have the skills and work experience for the MBA route, why did you not choose that path?

What did you study in undergrad? None of your work is going to be terribly helpful for getting a quant job. It also signals that you don't have the skills to land or perform passingly well in a quant role.

I've never heard of the program, and I do expect the distance learning to affect your odds of an internship. The distance will inhibit interaction with the schools career services, prevent and companies from sending recruiters to the school (zoom can still happen but that's just not the same and won't be treated the same), and you won't get the benefit of being surrounded by fantastic peers who are working for the same goal.

But if you're going for IB then a quant masters is not the best route. You have the skills and work experience for the MBA route, why did you not choose that path?
Hi thank you for your reply.

My undergrad isn’t in math or physics, i have a Business degree that has some quantitative aspects but is weak.

I understand your take on the low odds in IB, if i choose to move on with the program, what are different jobs than IB for a Quant Major? Possibly consulting at Big4 ?

I wanted this program specifically for the easy payment plan, i can pay as I go through the modules, each module at a time. And the english and distance learning aspects since I am staying in Germany now.

In Germany and europe in general an MBA isn’t well regarded as a MSc, except in the UK I presume.

I heard SOAS isn’t a bad university and has a good employability potential.

Thank you for reply, again.

Hi thank you for your reply.

My undergrad isn’t in math or physics, i have a Business degree that has some quantitative aspects but is weak.

I understand your take on the low odds in IB, if i choose to move on with the program, what are different jobs than IB for a Quant Major? Possibly consulting at Big4 ?

I wanted this program specifically for the easy payment plan, i can pay as I go through the modules, each module at a time. And the english and distance learning aspects since I am staying in Germany now.

In Germany and europe in general an MBA isn’t well regarded as a MSc, except in the UK I presume.

I heard SOAS isn’t a bad university and has a good employability potential.

Thank you for reply, again.
The job for a quant major is to be a quant. You do IB from undergrad in business or a masters in a business discipline. Quant finance MSc or Financial Engineering are more math than finance usually. If you don't want to do quant after you usually would go to do DS or somethin

Back