• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Level of Knowledge Needed

I'm an undergrad going for summer 20 quant internships. Most interview questions I've found seem to be brain-teasers based on intro stats/combinatorics. My question is how much beyond the basics do I need to know? For example will I be expected to know about martingales? In other words, is it better to just focus on doing practice problems or do I need to learn more about probability/optimization/etc? I'm considering firms like Jane Street & Two Sigma if that makes a difference, although certainly am not hard set. I'm a math/cs double major if that matters.

Also, I spent the past 2 summers at FAANG. Is that enough to get an interview? If not what do kinds of things do people do to improve their resume.

And is it true that most places are willing to teach you the finance once you start? Right now I know nothing about finance.

Thanks in advance.

You just need to know the basics and be smart enough to answer brain teasers and pass HackerRank coding challenges. FAANG is absolutely enough, you'll get called in if you have them on your resume. They'll teach you everything you need to know. You're in a great place man, I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe look at heard on the street, common quantitative interview questions. There’s also 150 most common quantitative interview questions by Stefanica and Radowic (sp?). And the green book - the title of which I can’t remember offf hand. They love that stuff.

Back