• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Looking for Advice to crack into Quant Finance

Hi,

I am a first-year undergraduate student in an Actuarial Science and Quantitative Finance program from India. I am looking for advice although I do not know exactly what questions to ask or how to phrase them. I know I want to work in the Quant Finance field but I do not know exactly where to start. I am good at math and enjoy learning it, over the last two years I have been learning Python and over the last 6 months, I have begun C++. I would love to know what other skills I need to build to land an internship, how I could build up my resume, what books I might have to read to gather a better understanding of the field or just any advice really.

I do apologise for the vagueness of my questions.

Hey,

You definitely have time on your side since you are in your first year. You also have the right background, or are getting the right background to enter into the field. I would suggest that you build a strong foundation and explore the breadth of the subject.

In terms of books and resources, you will find many resource lists. An example being the quantnet reading list.
It's easy to get lost in the vastness of all these materials, so it's important that you focus your energy on getting the basics right.
An online course that I like is the MIT OCW course - Topics in mathematics with applications to finance.

In terms of projects and building your resume out, ideas might come up organically once you start delving in the subject matter.

If you build a good foundation by going through this process, it should not be difficult for you to get an internship. I am assuming companies come to your college for internship interviews. For interview prep specifically go through some of the quant interview books mentioned on the reading list.

Best of luck! And have fun learning!

Back