• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Masters Advice

Hey, I'm currently a final year undergraduate at Loughborough University studying Maths w Stats and I'm looking to target a role in quant finance post-university - ideally a quant trader role.

I'm thinking of applying to an MSc to better my understanding of quant finance and to give myself more time to prepare for interviews i.e. options theory, brainteasers, probability and MM games.

Should I prioritise Financial Mathematics programs (tend to cost significantly more but modules seem much more quant-focused) or Applied Stats/Maths/Data Science (cheaper but less quant-focused)?

Also any particular suggestions for UK universities? I have already applied for the MSc Maths and Finance at Imperial (with the MSc Statistical Finance being my second choice) and I am looking into applying to Warwick this week for their Mathematical Finance MSc.

I completed a quant trading internship at an HFT firm last summer and have begun applying to internships for next summer too. I can clear the CV screen stage fine but I am struggling with penultimate interviews as I haven't had much time to really prepare for them, hence why an extra year (MSc) to prepare would be ideal.

"I haven't had much time to really prepare for them"
There are no real cooldown periods on applying to places if they don't select you. You could apply to a few places you don't necessarily want to work for (say because of location), but nonetheless have the right position. Then keep track of the questions you're get asked. Themes, patterns, what they like to press on. Just study for those things that were difficult to answer. Improve, and score an offer. If final round interviews are the problem, the no, do not go for more schooling.

Back