• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Masters Degree vs. Work Experience

I've recently graduated from a Computer and Internet Engineering BEng with one year experience in the UK and my intial plan was to complete a Masters (Fin Math/Quant Fin/Comp Fin) programme in the UK. However, I have only been accepted by QMUL and Bayes which do not convince me 100%.

I am therefore thinking about finding a job (as a SE in the finance sector if possible or simply SE if not as it is my undergrad background) to:

- Self-learn about quant fin to make sure it is what I what to study further, as the Masters fees are really high to not be 100%
- Apply for quant roles with more knowledge and personal projects I would be doing during my job sparetime
- Apply again to those unis were I was rejected, hoping that with more knowledge on the field and work experience I am accepted

Does this sound reasonable, or is it almost impossible to get a quant role (developer/analyst/trader) with just a BEng?? Or is it better to do the masters degree even if it is not a top uni. I need to pay the deposit for Bayes before the 22nd June so I am probably losing that one, my other plan is to wait for my final year grades which I am expecting to be good (First-class honours), and then apply to one more Masters (KCL CompFin).

I am also starting a summer internship at a consultant in a few days which I hope would build my CV.

Sorry for all the waffle but I am really lost right now so any advice would be great, if you want to know more details about my profile (Uni, unis ive applied to, etc) please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Get more work experience and then target better programs in the future is a sound plan. Working gives you better focus on what you need to learn and which program is a better fit.
That was what I was thinking, my two concerns here are 1) not being able to find a job or 2) finding a SE not related to finance/quant and therefore not being relevant when applying to programmes.

Hey bud, I will say you have an comp engineering BEng, however as you aware, with the UK they want a Maths heavy bachelor i.e Civil,Mechanical etc. I would hope you'd be able able to get into a top UK program but they are competitive and as somoene that did computer science i get what you mean. In my opinion try get a SD/SE in finance then reconsider as perhaps you can move laterally that way without needing uni. I do think that best way to learn is on the job, If your side projects are really good, and u get a really great grade from an average uni doing that masters (Rusell Group Uni) offering such course with an experience already. Its hard to say no to you provided you are aware of the competition that you are facing. I dont know if that makes sense or helps

Hi there!

Just have a look at this undergrad fin maths book. In my opinion, that's what top-notch UK unis might expect you to know before starting a master’s in fin maths

Hi,
Sure thing! When preparing for a master's in financial mathematics at top UK universities, a strong foundation is essential. Typically, you should be comfortable with advanced calculus, linear algebra, probability theory, and differential equations. Understanding financial instruments, basic risk management, and having proficiency in statistical analysis and programming (e.g., Python, MATLAB) are also crucial. These skills lay the groundwork for tackling complex financial models and quantitative analysis in the program.

Jack ;)

Hi,
Sure thing! When preparing for a master's in financial mathematics at top UK universities, a strong foundation is essential. Typically, you should be comfortable with advanced calculus, linear algebra, probability theory, and differential equations. Understanding financial instruments, basic risk management, and having proficiency in statistical analysis and programming (e.g., Python, MATLAB) are also crucial. These skills lay the groundwork for tackling complex financial models and quantitative analysis in the program.

Jack ;)
Where would you recommend me learning about financial instruments, basic risk management, etc ?

Hi,

Jack ;)
No way are people using chatgpt to reply to quantnet posts

Back