Math student considering finance

• Thread starter Thread starter MMF
  • Start date Start date

MMF

Hello all,

Interestingly enough, I made a thread on this forum almost two years ago exactly, but regardless here is some background. I am currently a student finishing some coursework before applying for a PhD spot in Mathematics this fall. Currently I have a BA in Mathematics, MA in Mathematics, and am finishing up my BA in Physics while I hear back from the schools I am applying to. Originally I had a strong interest in applied mathematics, specifically with regards to finance or the sciences, however as my studies have advanced my interest in mathematics for mathematics sake has increased. Still though, I realize career wise that isn't the best choice, and though I'm young, my family is aging and I would certainly like to help them out as much as possible. At the same time however, I would like to get away from the finance stress (which is quite high from what I've heard) and go into academia later in my life. That is what leads me to my question which I hope some of you can chime in on; is this PhD worth it? I am certainly interested in mathematics, but does this interest warrant the opportunity cost that comes at its expense? From what I realize the PhD gives me more career flexibility as well as opening a few more doors than a MS/MFE perhaps would.

Thank you.

Back