• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Maximizing Chances as a Computer Engineer Applying For MSFE

Hello everyone,

I'm a Computer Engineering major who has fallen in love with algorithmic trading, so much so that I have given up tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships and work opportunities to pursue this true passion. I'm applying to grad schools this December/January and was wondering what you guys think my chances are for getting in (UC Berkeley, CMU, UCLA, Columbia). Below are my stats:

GPA:
- 3.75 cumulative (got B in some math/physics lower division classes due to laziness)
- 3.93 for upper division courses at CSU Sacramento (stopped being lazy, worked 20-30 hours a week)

Work Experience:
- Information Technology Consultant (08/15 - Present): manage IT services for medical clinics
- R&D Test Engineer @ HPE (08/16 - Present): Automation in Python, testing network/core switches
- Certified Personal Trainer (2 years): Owe all of my people/sales skills to this job

GRE:
- Haven't taken, but getting 170 Quant score in initial practice tests, verbal is 155 but haven't studied for that

Finance Experience:
- Not very much besides some trading with Quantopian and Robin Hood
- Registered for a computer science elective this semester that focuses on statistical modeling, monte carlo analysis, etc

Do you guys think I have a good shot at getting into a top school? Is there anything I should be doing to further increase my chances? I just want to do everything I possible can the next few months to maximize my learning and my chances of getting into a good school.

list all the math courses would have taken

I have taken the following math/physics courses:
  • Calculus I
  • Calculus II
  • Calculus III
  • Differential Equations
  • Intro. to Linear Algebra
  • Physics: Mechanics of Solids and Fluids (Calculus-based)
  • Physics: Electricity & Magnetism (Calculus-based)
  • Physics: Heat, Waves & Optics (Calculus-based)

It's bare minimum. A course in probability theory & another in real analysis would be advantageous. I'm no fan of real analysis but it's very popular with the mathematicians on this forum.

I think you're fine if you did well in those courses if we are talking about eligibility.
Now can you get in the very top programs? I would let others answer that question.
Your gpa is very good, and if you get a very good GRE, you just need to provide adequate motivation to enter the programs.

Back