MBA in FE + FRM/PRM or MQF, MMF, MFE etc.?

Thanks very much for reading my post.

I have about 5 years of experience in market risk management in both IT (risk technology) and business (as a Senior Analyst, Market Risk Management working on stressed VaR analysis and reporting, in my last role). I am actually currently working on modeling exotic instruments. I have worked for HSBC and 3 of the biggest banks in Canada where I live.

My concern is I observed that most of my colleagues have MBAs or quantitative finance degrees and that's got me thinking I may be not that qualified and at a clear disadvantage for (mid-)management roles in market risk. This is a big concern to me as I have only a Bachelor's degree.

Another point is I did some research on efinancialcareers and majority of the (mid-)management roles in market risk require a quantitative Master's degree or an MBA. So it seems the industry encourages a Master's degree for higher roles in market risk.

My question then is: What is the better graduate education path for a market risk professional (currently a Sr Analyst) with a Bachelor's (Hons) in Mathematics and Computer Science seeking management/progressively higher roles (e.g. market risk manager) as the next step in their career?

Is it:

1. MBA in Financial Engineering + FRM/PRM
2. A quantitative finance degree such as MQF, MMF, MFE etc.?

My ultimate career goal is to be a market risk expert such as the Head of Market Risk for a big FI.

Guys, please help by offering your 2 cents. I appreciate it! Thank you very much in advance for your response.

Thanks for your response.

I am personally interested in getting a graduate degree. Can you please offer your opinion on whether an MBA or a quantitative finance degree will be more beneficial for a market risk career?

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Guys, please offer your 2 cents. I need your perspectives and guidance.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom