• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE after 8 years of work experience in financial markets

After 8 years of working in non-quant research roles in asset management, wealth management and fintech - I am contemplating pursuing an MFE in the US. My previous background in education is in engineering (electronics) for a reputed university in India and an MBA in finance with CFA L1 cleared.

I have always had a deep interest in quantitative finance and I'm in a position in life right now where I can take the time and effort required to complete such an intensive program.

But one question that I'm pondering over is the average experience in MFE full-time batches in most programs is 2-3 years. So I'm not sure how this will affect my hiring prospects upon completion of the program.

If there's anyone from the current MFE batches or past who has an opinion on this would love to your thoughts.

But one question that I'm pondering over is the average experience in MFE full-time batches in most programs is 2-3 years. So I'm not sure how this will affect my hiring prospects upon completion of the program.
There is a reason for this. Many programs are flooded with applicants with high GPA/GRE and short work resume, it's harder for people like you to stand out and make a case.
Programs that take both full-time and part-time students are friendlier to applicants like you.
I started my MFE at 30. Many of my classmates were at same ages and some are working FT, doing MFE part-time. You just need to market your 8 year experience as something extra you bring to the program.

Yeah I feel the same too. To be fair, I haven’t fully considered a part time option while I continue to work, perhaps I should.

How effective is a part time MFE from a pedagogy/learning point of view?

I wonder if a university like UC Berkeley would offer career assistance to part time students?

While we’re at it what are your thought on the World Quant MFE program?

From my experience seeing my classmates working FT and taking the PT courses at night, it's tough but it's an individual challenge many overcome. They may learn better than the FT students because they are motivated and they can see how applicable the materials applied to their work.

Some programs do not have PT option, UC Berkeley is one of them. Some will not provide career services to PT students since they are considered fully employed. A great program will provide personal help to anyone, even to their alumni.

I don't have any personal experience with the WQU program but I do have some conversation with them. Hopefully, I will be able to learn more about them to provide meaningful answers. It's free and may be a great choice depending on each person's personal goal and circumstances.

Thanks Andy. This question is also to anyone following the thread who has been able to make up for a lower GPA in undergrad (6.54 /10) . Specifically for Baruch.

I like the program as it seems to have a very focused one on financial markets x quant and I really want to pursue it if there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

I see they have a grade criteria’s on calculus, probability, linear algebra and C++

I do not meet some of them in one semester from my engineering. Any way to overcome this by taking graded courses that can prove my merit alternatively?

Last edited:
Back