• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Application Advice from a Buy/Sell-side Quant

Hello,

Who Am I: I am a quant, mainly focused in Commodities. I have spent 7+ years working in one of the top 5 sell-side firms across New York and London. I have been working for a multi-billion dollar hedge fund for the last couple of years. I chose my MFE program based on recommendations/rankings from QuantNet.

About My Company: A multi billion $ hedge fund trading across various asset classes and horizons.

Why Am I doing this: There is a perceived lack of information on what differentiates an excellent MFE application from a bad one. While communities like QuantNet help fill this gap, I feel a quick cheat-sheet of tips would be useful for the candidates to further refine their applications.

A successful MFE application has many components. I am listing what I think are the most important, in a decreasing order of importance.

Letters of Recommendation:
  • This is one of the most important aspects of an application, but it is often the most overlooked
  • Having an LOR from someone senior like an MD/CXO would add a lot of weight to an otherwise average MFE application
  • Pick someone who knows you and your work quite well. For example, having it from a course instructor who barely knows you would dilute an application

Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose:
  • It goes without saying that an excellent PS/SoP would be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful application
  • Make sure that the story in the PS is coherent and answers the following questions:
    • What attracted you to the field in the first place?
    • What makes you a good potential candidate for an admit?
    • What are your goals and how does the program help achieve them?
    • Why choose the specific university and program?
  • Have your CV/PoS reviewed by peers/seniors/alumni to address any gaps in them

Resume/CV:
  • A resume will be very critical not just for the MFE application but beyond to while hunting for an internship/full time job
  • Ensure that all the points in the CV show was the impact rather than what was done
  • Try to add numbers where possible to highlight your impact

Interview:
  • Most of the universities follow a specific structure for the interviews, asking questions from the following categories:
    • Resume/Experience related questions
    • Why MFE/Why this program/Why you?
    • Integrity related question (Tell me a time when…)
    • Future Goals
    • Strengths & Weaknesses
  • There are a lot of resources available on QuantNet on previous interview experiences. Leverage them and make sure you are fully prepared and have 2-3 stories ready for each of the questions asked

While I am not going to vouch for any particular MFE program, feel free to reply to this thread/send me a DM if you have any specific questions.

All the best for the process!

Back